Chapter 26: Anger Me

~Chapter 26~

Clarence

For the next few days, Clarence spent them recovering in her cabin. She was given excuses in her lessons and from time to time, Ami, Ash, Jed, Gerald and even Halliope would come and check up on her. She those days very boring, of course and she often complained when her friends would not allow her to go outside. So this day was the last day of her recovering and later afternoon she’ll be allowed to get out of bed.

Sometimes she couldn’t help but worry a little about the person who’s after her. On that experience, she couldn’t even summon a couple of stars without getting a little dizzy. What will happen to her if she faced a greater danger? She doubted she could handle all that by herself. She needed help from her friends…

“What are you doing here?” Clarence asked Ash, who just entered her room.

He shrugged nonchalantly, flopping himself down on Clarence’s bed, “I just wanted to talk to you.”

“About what?”

Ash opened his mouth to say something, but closed it again, hesitant to say whatever’s in his mind. Clarence wondered what was that about. “Nothing…just never mind.”

“What is it?” Clarence pressed on, narrowing her eyes.

“Just ignore it Clarence. It’s nothing, really.”

“Please, tell me.”

“There are some things that are meant to be hidden. It’s the best you’ll know later.”

“Then why are here if you won’t say it.”

“No, there’s something else I want to talk to you about.”

“Please, enlighten me.”

Ash ran his tongue over his lips. Clarence could tell he was nervous. “What do you think about Gerald?”

“What do you mean?” Clarence asked, furrowing her eyebrows.

“Do you like him?”

“Yeah, I like him…as a friend and a brother. I don’t feel anything towards him.” That was a lie. Clarence did feel something towards Gerald. But it was just a little bit.

Ash looked at her, as if searching her face for some lie. Then, he took a deep breath, running his hand through his messy dark hair. “I’m going now,” he told her. He stood up to leave, but Clarence grabbed his hand to stop him.

“Just stay for a while, Ash. There’s still something I want to ask you.”

Ash sat back on the bed and Clarence began, “What was up with you that night of the party?”

“Nothing was up,” Ash said a little too quickly, averting his gaze from Clarence.

“Yes, there was! You were acting strange…why the heck did you ask me to dance?”

“I don’t need to tell you anything, Clarence.”

“Gods, you’re so impossible.”

“You’re just dense,” Ash half-stared and half-scowled at her.

“I am not dense, Ash.” Clarence stared back, trying to read something in his green eyes. But she got nothing. He was so damn confusing.

“Then why can’t you see…”

“See what?!”

Ash rolled his eyes and hopped off the bed. He walked straight out of the room, leaving Clarence dumbfounded. She was fed up. They were hiding something from her and she wanted to find out. Brushing off the slight pain in her body, she slowly climbed out of her window and for the first time since the attack, her feet touched the soft grass.