Chapter 33: Dominant

~Chapter 33~

Death…

Okay, here I go again with the deep thought rambling.

Anyways, death…

It is the end of your life, when you fall into deep eternal slumber. And who is in charge of your life? They are the three Moirai, also known as the Fates. They are the three old ladies responsible for the thread of life. First, Clotho (spinner) spins the thread of life on her spindle. In Roman, she is known as Nona. Next, Lachesis (allotter) decides how long that particular thread for each person is – her Roman equivalent is Decima. Finally, Atropos (inevitable), a.k.a. Morta, cuts the thread of life then boom. Down to the Underworld you go. Nobody makes out of the Underworld alive except for some heroes and sons/daughters of Hades, of course.

To enter the Underworld, you either use Charon’s ferry, enter through the doors of Orpheus, or use the doors of death (there are more entrances and exits, too) but most dead people goes through the first one. If you take the ferry, then you are steered through the River Styx, a dangerous river that only strong demigods can survive if they take a dip. After you have the trip to the Underworld, you pass by Cerberus, the three headed dog guarding the place. After that, is the Judgement Pavilion where three spirits judge where to put you. First option: the Fields of Punishment where spirits experience eternal punishment and torture for the things they’ve done. Second option: the Fields of Asphodel, a place where the spirits are neither bad nor good and they forget their lives. Third option: Elysium, which is a paradise for heroes. This is where people who died heroes and where they can enjoy their death in peace. There’s another place, which is the Isles of the Blest where you end up if you chose to be reborn three times then achieved to be in Elysium every time. Now, the two places I don’t want to mention: Tartarus and Hades’ palace. Tartarus is the nightmare of every demigod – or even god. This is where the enemies – also known as the titans – and essences of the monsters are kept. Hades’ palace is of course where Hades and Persephone live and stay.

Okay, I’ve just given an overview of afterlife and a tour of the Underworld. Great…I’ll add that to the list of things I regret for sure.

Alright, I was feeling this very no, scratch that, unbearable pain. My head was throbbing and felt like it was going to blow up anytime, my eyes didn’t dare to open and they felt heavy, I felt my bones were burning and my muscles were scorched. My throat was itchy and my mouth and lips were completely dry, it feels like I haven’t slept for ages and I could feel a little blood dripping from my mouth causing the metallic taste then to top it all off, there was this sharp pain in my chest as if my heart was in the verge of stopping or there was something stinging my lungs. Really, it felt like I was dipped in the River Styx or something. I’ve never felt anything like this in my life. But I was sure I wasn’t dead, because if I was, I wouldn’t be feeling anything of this. Now the question was: will I ever wake up? I just wanted to sleep and sleep forever until the pain was gone. I’m stuck in the same position and it hurts so badly when I moved a single muscle.

Wake up, a voice said in my head, wake up, Clarence.

I don’t want to wake up! I spat back.

You’re going to be in danger. Do you want to get killed?!

It’s not like I was going to stay alive, right. Everything is broken, wounded, injured or scratched and I barely breathe.

You know you’re strong. Stay strong.

No! Maybe I should give up…

After that, I blocked the voice away, hoping not to hear any of it ever again. I was in no condition to fight any danger that might be heading my way – wherever I was. Maybe if a miracle happened, I’d be rescued somehow. I know I’m not awake. I know I couldn’t feel my surroundings and my eyes refused to open. I was still in my sleep, thinking about certain things. How long I’ve been like this and where I am, I don’t know and I don’t care. Despite the thirst, hunger and pain I’m feeling right now, I never craved so much sleep in my life as if it was the only thing I needed to heal.