Chapter 24: Understand Me

~Chapter 24~

Clarence

Spying on her cousin and best friend – with her rival, not to mention – was one of the things she regrets. She feared that Ami might hate her for doing that. And she had to agree to Ash’s stupid plan then end up being soaked in the cold river water. At least Ash pushing her into the river interrupted Jed and Ami’s big cheesy romantic kiss. It seemed like seeing her cousin and Ami kiss was a nightmare to her. Though, unlike Ash, she’s going to apologize to the both of them.

Honestly, she felt a little jealous and left out because of Jed and Ami’s growing relationship. If they dated, she would have no more time for Ami and she was sure Ash would feel the same towards Jed. It’s going to be hard having a lovesick best friend and leaving you with your rival to be the third wheels.

She would spend time with Gerald, though. Clarence would tell him everything: her problems, her dreams, her hobbies – as if he was her diary. He was a good listener and always gives her advice for all that. She can’t believe people judge him for a lonely person right away. Gerald was more than that. They just couldn’t see that fact.

“Ash, I have a million reasons for this to backfire,” Clarence told him while they sat by the archery site. They went to their first lesson early to discuss how they’re going to make it up to their best friends.

“It’s going to be okay, Clarence. You said so yourself that Ami liked surprises.” Ash assured her. Clarence still doubted this whole thing.

“But still…this could go wrong.”

He sighed, “Look, this could go wrong but we won’t let that happen. Jed and Ami deserve to be together and we won’t ruin that. Later at night, we’re going to send them notes, telling them to go to the woods. There, we set up this dinner table and food to eat and they’ll enjoy a nice relaxing date. A real date.”

“And nothing could go wrong…right?”

“Yeah, so stop worrying about it.”

If they were going to upset Ami and Jed again…Clarence wouldn’t know what to do. She’s her best friend and he’s her cousin so she wouldn’t want them to hold a grudge against her. Ash was too determined in this plan.

“Alright, take your places! The lessons will be starting!” Darwin Charlton, a son of Apollo who is teaching archery announced. Clarence and Ash stood up from the grass and made their way towards the crowd.

Darwin was best archer in the whole camp – or at least that’s what the camp thinks. He always bragged about how he would get the bull’s eye and not miss any shot. Clarence would always snort at that fact.

Darwin called out names from the clipboard and told the demigods to shoot the targets. Ash’s name was called, so he jogged up in front of a target, kept his distance, and aimed the arrow. He wasn’t any good in archery so his first arrow was released and ended up less than two feet from him.

Clarence watched him aim another arrow. This time, it landed on the edge of the target. She chuckled a little while he was struggling to put another arrow on the bow. Watching Ash fail was so amusing to her.

When he finally got the arrow into position, he released it and it landed on…Darwin. Fortunately, it wasn’t fired strongly so it didn’t hurt one bit. But Darwin was angered and he went up to Ash and began yelling at him.

Without even thinking, Clarence marched up to the two. I little circle of demigods was formed around them. She pushed through the crowd and glared at the teacher.

“Harper, what the hell?! All I ask is to fire arrows at that target and you shoot them at me? You think this is funny?” Darwin told Ash.

“You shouldn’t get mad at people because they make mistakes,” Clarence stood in front of Ash and crossed her arms.