Chapter 20: Reveal Me

~Chapter 20~

Clarence

She sat on her bed, staring at the jumbled words which were dancing on the page of her English textbook. A week had already passed after her grandmother died and tomorrow was the first day of summer. A day when she can be finally free. Clarence imagined her, alone in her bedroom, wanting the company of Lindy. But she brushed that thought off quickly. She couldn’t help wondering how her summer will be now that Lindy’s not there and Ami’s going to camp.

Her thoughts and ‘studying’ were interrupted by the familiar rainbow appearing in front of her, with her best friend’s face on it. “Clarence B. Meadow! Why haven’t you Iris messaged me this past week?!” Ami scolded.

Clarence sighed and put aside the book, “I don’t know. Why didn’t you?”

Ami frowned, “Really? You expect me to call? I was busy and of course you know what happened to your grandmother!”

Clarence bit her lip. She didn’t want to be reminded of Lindy’s death. “So what do you want?”

“Okay, I have two questions.”

“Uh, huh.”

Her best friend scowled, “Are you even paying attention?! This is very important!”

“If you’re going to rant about your mom being strict and uptight then I’m wasting my time.”

Ami shook her head, “This is different, Clar. Now, first question: I don’t mean to remind you about it but, why didn’t you attend Lindy’s funeral? You’re her only granddaughter.”

“What? Do you think I wanted to see my grandmother in lying there, dead and make some kind of speech about her?!”

Ami looked a little scared of her best friend snapping at her. She mumbled a ‘sorry’ before rambling about her next question, “Alright, the second question. So, I had this dream after we talked in my bathroom last week and before mom came into my room, shaking me like a psycho and telling me that Lindy’s gone. While I was watching that scene, I guess it was happening in the present, like at the same time I was sleeping. I felt like a stalker, honestly but the dream came to me so technically, it wasn’t really stalking but-“

“Ami!” Clarence cut her off, “Get straight to the point!”

“Oh, right. Anyway, in this dream I saw this mystery guy I was talking about. And Clarence, you didn’t tell me he was your cousin!”

Clarence shrugged nonchalantly, “I didn’t know it was him that you met at the park.”

Ami pointed an accusing finger at her, “You filthy liar! I remember clearly that you said you were there and you saw the whole thing! Why the hell didn’t you tell me? I thought you were my best friend!”

Clarence sighed and rubbed her temples. She thought Ami and Jed would work the whole thing out when they got to camp, but there she was, being dragged into the relationship mess. “I was hesitating about telling you, okay? My best friend and cousin…dating…ugh, it just sounds really wrong. But tomorrow you’ll see him at camp, Ami. Go talk to him. If you want to start dating then…you have my blessing.” She said the last part reluctantly.

Ami blinked then opened her mouth to say something but was immediately interrupted by her mother screaming her name. She sighed, “Alright, Clarence. Thanks and I have to go.” She waved her hand on the Iris message.

Clarence leaned back her head on the wall and stared up at the ceiling. It was impossible to study for her and her talk with Ami encouraged her to get bored. She hopped off from her bed and grabbed a short brown jacket then shrugged it on. The morning was reserved for the students to study and this afternoon, they’ll be taking the tests.