Chapter 8: Change Me

~Chapter 8~

Clover

Going away was the last thing Clover dreamt of doing. Cities – and other places – are completely foreign to her. She didn’t know how to react in this very situation she is now. It felt like her whole world turned upside down, and so was her head. She didn’t know where she was going to, and who she was going with. She felt a little queasy in her stomach as she made her way to the office.

She considered turning back and just continue with her normal life, even if it means being tortured by Merilda for the rest of high school. With Xandra having a hand on her back, guiding her, she felt comforted. How bad could it be, right? Why would Clover be trembling in fear and nervousness?

Suddenly, it hit her. She recalled the night when she witnessed Jed and Ash fight with a Cyclops. That moment left her terrified; she thinks she cannot trust anyone anymore. Maybe not even her own two teachers. Come on, she was going somewhere she didn’t know with someone unfamiliar to her. How couldn’t you be a little nervous about it?

She resisted the urge to bite her lip as Xandra led her in front of the office door. Though, the teacher didn’t open the door yet. She turned to Clover.

“Clover, I know this is very strange and sudden to you. But you have to take this carefully. This will change your whole life…the simple words she’s going to say.” She told her. Clover had no idea who ‘she’ is – in fact, she had no idea what Xandra was saying at all.

Clover touched the cold hard doorknob, twisting it and pushing the door open. It was the normal office for the teachers, except it was completely empty of people except for Xandra following close behind her, Mrs. Mackie standing beside a table in the centermost of the room, an unfamiliar old lady sitting on one of the chairs by the same table and of course, herself.

She let out an inaudible gulp as she sat on a chair across from the old woman and then Xandra started explaining things.

“Clover, this is Lindy Meadow, the person who’s been paying your school tuition.” Xandra said. Clover’s eyes almost fell from their sockets. This woman was the one paying for her school? She barely even knew her. When Clover didn’t say anything, Xandra carried on,

“She’s the owner of this large company that sells gadgets and stuff. She’s a successful woman, really and from now on, she’d be taking care of you.”

Clover tried to protest but her Latin teacher cut her off, “Clover she’ll be telling you the truth. The truth about yourself.”

Was there anything to find out about me? Clover thought, it feels like they’re keeping something from me the whole time…

The woman – Mrs. Meadow – smiled sweetly at her, “Clover…I’m your grandmother.”

“That’s impossible! I don’t have any relatives!” the girl blurted out. Both of her teachers looked at her in shock but Lindy sighed, “There will be a lot of explaining to do, honey.”

Xandra spoke up again, “Clover, your bags are ready in the car. You’re going to New York.”

“New York?!” she exclaimed. Lindy nodded, “We have a long ride ahead of us, honey and on the way there, I’d be telling you some things you need to know.”

Clover decided there was no point arguing further. She followed as Lindy stood up and headed towards the door, Mrs. Mackie and Xandra trailing behind them.

“I assume Jedrick shouldn’t know about you being here,” Xandra spoke once they reach the front doors of the school. Everyone was at class so the halls were deserted.