Chapter 14: Listen To Me

~Chapter 14~

Clarence

That night, Clarence was ready to stay up until midnight. She prepared herself for the monsters in the forest. She knew Jed and Ash will be there, fighting, too but she wanted to be the first one there. She planned to kill at least one monster before hiding behind the trees to watch the two boys.

Clarence pulled her hair up into a tight ponytail and was dressed in a white t-shirt and a denim vest. She also wore her faded out jeans and comfortable sneakers, to run in. And of course, she had her trusted bow and arrow, plus some ambrosia, nectar and medical supplies packed in a small bag. After she made sure everything was in place, she looked out the window.

She needs to summon the stars again.

Holding out her right hand – she was more comfortable with that – and closing her eyes slowly, she let the power of the stars flow through her. She felt as if the stars were a part of her and she couldn’t survive without them. When she opened her eyes, a line of sparkles was swirling around her. She began to float, along with the stars. With a move of her hand, she was flying out of the window and then landed in the deep part of the forest, a little too far from the school.

She didn’t feel any pain this time. But when she used her power to take out a monster that required a lot of stars to make it explode, she felt dizzy and would stumble a little. Though, right now she decided to use just her bow and arrows. Using her powers was a last resort.

Clarence recognized this spot as the same one she saw Jed and Ash fight in. It was a bald spot of the forest, so the trees were surrounding her in a large circle, and above, she could see the stars and the half-moon glowing without the view being blocked by any plant.

She inhaled the cold night air and stared up, still keeping watch for the monsters attacking. She really missed this place, and it gave her a nice view of the stars, too. It was against the rules of Eastern to sneak out at night, but being a demigod means breaking certain rules, right?

When she heard a little rustling behind her, she expected a monster, but it was – of course – Ash and Jed. She quickly ran towards the trees to hide herself. Gods, can those two give me the monsters for me to fight it myself? She asked herself. But there was no way she was revealing herself to them. That’ll be too risky.

“I told you, Jed, I don’t trust. There’s something…off…about that girl.” She heard Ash’s voice. She peeked from the tree and watched the two guys walk towards the middle of the spot. They had both their swords in their hands.

Clarence saw Jed roll his eyes at him, “Ash, she’s my cousin. Don’t judge her if you didn’t meet her yet.”

Ash snorted, “Whatever. Have you even met her?”

Jed shrugged, “I think I’ve known her enough.”

Ash sat on the grass, crossing his legs. Clarence knew they were talking about her. And the fact that they find her mysterious was telling her that her plan was working. If she was lucky, those two idiots wouldn’t have a chance to know who she really is by the end of the school year.

Ash sighed, “Just shut up about her, Jed. Anyway, where’s the monsters? There have been less of them for the past month…”

Duh, because I’m not here, Clarence thought.

“Yeah, weird.” Jed agreed. Oh, haha if only they knew. Clarence said in her head. But she was getting a little impatient. When would that damn monster (or monsters) show up?!?

“So…Ash.” Jed started, “What’s bothering you lately?”

Ash cocked an eyebrow, “What do you mean?”