Chapter 16: Make Me

~Chapter 16~

Jedrick

Just let him calm down for a while and avoid pressuring him. Once he’ll get back to camp, he’ll cool off, Xandra’s words echoed in his mind. He just couldn’t help feeling worried for his best friend. Well, yeah, he’s sometimes hostile with other people, but this is different. And it had something to do with his family and Clarence.

He knew Ash ever since they were thirteen years old. He was like a brother to him and they cared for each other. The thing that’s making him confused is whether to believe his best friend whom he had known for three years, or his strange and mysterious cousin.

Clarence snapped her fingers in front of his face, “Hey, Jedrick, are even listening?” That snapped him away from his thoughts.

“W-what were you saying?” Jed asked.

His cousin rolled her eyes, “I was wondering if Ash’s alright. I haven’t seen him all day.” It was true. Ash wasn’t in his classes today and Jed found out this morning he decided to stay in his room until night. Maybe he was getting sleep, Jed thought.

He shrugged, “He’s locked up in his room all day.”

“Why?”

Jed wondered why he was telling Clarence all this even though his best friend doesn’t want him to. Ash made that clear. He has to stay away from her. But Jed already grew fond of Clarence. He treated him now as a little sister.

“Honestly, I have no idea what he’s doing. He’s still mad because of yesterday.”

She frowned, stabbing her fork into her pasta, “I’m really sorry I got him pissed like that.”

“Don’t worry about him, Clarence. He’s fine. How about you and I go visit him in his dorm and you can go…um…apologize?” he asked her.

Clarence raised an eyebrow, “Are you sure? Doesn’t he want to strangle me with his own bare hands?”

He chuckled, “You guys need to sort things out.”

Jedrick finished the rest of his dinner and so did Clarence. They picked up their stuff and headed for the elevator. Jed pressed the right button and the elevator moved up. He knew this wouldn’t backfire…or end up badly. He’ll get Clarence and Ash to make up and – hopefully – be friends.

“Jed, I’m not really sure…” Clarence told him.

“It’s fine, cus.”  He assured her. They stopped in front of Ash’s door. Jed knocked softly on it.

“Ash. Ash, come out now.” Jed pleaded. They heard a grunt from the inside and the door opened, revealing Ash, his face looked drowsy and his hair was disheveled.

Ash’s gaze immediately went to Clarence and he glared, “Why did you bring her here?!”

Swiftly, Jed pushed his cousin into the room and shut the door behind him, trapping his best friend and cousin inside. “You have to talk!” Jed yelled through the door.

“Jed, I swear, I will kill you!” Ash shouted back. Jed locked the door from the outside (it can be locked in both ways) and leaned his back against it, “You two need to talk now!”

“No we don’t!” This time, it was Clarence’s voice.

“Guys, please.” Jed begged, “I’ll be back in a few minutes and make sure you already sorted yourselves out! And don’t pretend because I’ll know! Et ecce post ya guys!” After that, he got no response. For a second, he thought those two already killed each other, but he brushed the thought away and headed for a classroom.