Chapter 6: The Runaways and The Captured

Three days later...

Seto's POV

I've been running for nearly seventy hours straight. It's been three days since I left Sunnyshore City. Four days since Arlene was murdered.

I've had two hours of sleep over the past three days.

But I will keep running away, as long as it takes for the memories to fade.

I don't even know where I am on the map anymore. I've passed Castelia City, swam across the Whitewater River, run across the Castelia Plains, all to get away from Sunnyshore City.

I entered these woods a while ago. Hopefully this is Azeala Woods, and the city itself is somewhere near here. I'll need food soon...

My mind keeps going back to the encounter with Skybrine, when I held him at bay and probably shocked him with what I'd said. That was only a small part of the truth.

Adam James Skylen, also known as Skybrine. That's who he is. Two identities, but when the time comes he can only choose one.

I recognized him as soon as I saw him. But I doubt he knows who my father is...

A flying branch hitting me on the head brings me back to reality. It's real windy, the air is freezing, and there are dark clouds gathering above us.

Snow is coming soon.

I hurriedly rush to find a small cave for shelter, and I find one, in the side of a small hill. It's barely seven blocks large, but it's good enough for now.

I collect some firewood and climb in. Time to get comfortable and wait out the storm, I guess.

The snow begins to fall, lightly at first, then it become an all-out blizzard. The wind howls around me, and trees fall because of the wind.

I lay my head back on the hard stone wall of the cave, ready for a couple hours of sleep.

Click. Click.

That sounded an awful lot like redstone...

I light a torch and look around. Sure enough, there's a button in a small corner of a cave. When I press it, a ladder leading down appears.

Oh, hey, would'ya look at that. A secret base!

I drink an invisibility potion before I climb down into the stone cold hallway. It's cold as a freezer down here! Jeez!

"What are we gonna do when he wakes up?"

"This was your idea, not ours! And besides, he's already over there..."

I slowly creep around a corner and come face-to-face with the last person I want to see.

Skybrine.

He's chained up with bedrock handcuffs, slumped against a wall, unconscious, arms and legs bent at strange, unnatural angles. Dried blood is on his shirt and pants. Looks like he went through a beating.

Good, some part of my mind says. He deserves it.

But the fact that he's here is proof that you can't run away from your problems. They'll find you again, one way or another.

Suddenly, I hear three sets of footsteps, and a low growl.

"Who the Nether are you and what are you doing here?"

???'s POV

One word keeps going through my head.

Runaway.