Chapter 26: Demons and Angels

Jason's POV, around midday

"Kermit!" I shout.

This is so dangerous.

"Yeah?" He replies, looking back at me.

"I have a bad feeling about this..."

"You said that a hundred times!" Kermit rolls his eyes and goes back to placing blocks down.

But it's true. I carry the curse of the Wither, a curse that only kills, not heals.

I don't belong here. I shouldn't be here.

I hear a screeching sound far above me, and I look up.

It's a Cockatrice. Of course.

It shoots a poison dart at me, and I have to roll out of the way to dodge it. I pull out my electro gun and shoot the bird. It falls over, dead.

I have a feeling a lot more monsters will come after me.

And we've still got a long way to go to the mainland.

Seto's POV

I pace back and forth in the house, trying to make up my mind.

Do I stay here? Or do I go back to the Overworld to finish what I started?

The wind grows stronger, and I hear the familiar cry of a Cockatrice.

It chirps urgently at me, then flies away.

Huh. Wonder what that's about.

I look up in the sky and see a familiar black shape in the distance.

"Ty," I mutter. "Please don't see me..."

"He won't," Arlene says. "This is a protected area, remember?"

It's true. The island Arlene and I live on is one of the most heavily guarded islands in the Aether, with Cockatrices and Zephyrs everywhere. If Ty wants to get me, he'll have to fight the Aether mobs to do it.

Arlene and I can only leave our island with permission. So essentially, we're trapped here.

You're not supposed to get a second chance. So all of the leaders here - except for Notch - agreed to surround me with an Aether army so that no one dares to come get me.

Notch knows I still have a job to do.

But do I want to take up that responsibility again?

Ty's POV

As I soar through the clouds, my mind is going a mile a minute.

I'm so lost in thought that I don't realize that I'm gliding slowly to the ground until it's almost too late.

At the last second, I pull up and glide over the island I almost crashed into.

Wait a second.

Was that...?

I spin around and fly back to the island.

"Seto!" I shout. "I know you're there!"

A familiar person - sorry, ghost - wearing purple robes stands on the island in front of a small house. "I'm here. But you'll have to fight to get to me."

His eyes seem to say, "I'm sorry."

Then he raises his hands, and all the Aether mobs appear out of nowhere.

They all have one target: me, and me alone.

Oh boy.

I dodge each poison dart and electric shock, weaving in and out of the army of mobs. As I pass, I slash them with my claws. Most of them just fall to the ground and die.