Chapter 10: Remembering the Past

Ian's POV

I trudge through the blizzard alone, having left Mitch and Jerome alone, back in those woods with the icy rocks. On second thought, maybe that wasn't a very good idea. Especially now that it's nighttime.

According to my map, this is the last stretch before Snowpoint City. It's almost always snowing here, but normally not this hard. And usually, the snow is at least a block deep. Why would anyone put a city up in this frozen wasteland? (A/N: did anyone else play Pokémon Platinum/Diamond/Pearl? Just imagine Route 217.)

"A house!" I say, talking to myself, looking on the horizon. I can barely see five blocks in front of me in this blizzard, but I see the faint outline of a house in the distance. Again, who's insane enough to build a house in the middle of a place like this?

You are! One of the voices echoes.

"I thought I was done with you freaky voices!" I say aloud in frustration. It's true. Ever since I've been with Mitch and Jerome, I've heard the voices less and less. It's like... they're curing me...

Thankfully, the voices don't answer. How bad would it be if some random stranger overheard me talking to myself?

They'd probably think I was insane.

Oh, wait. I am.

I slowly push my way through the snow and arrive at the front door of the lonely house.

"Is anyone in there?" I yell over the howling wind, pounding on the wooden door.

An old man opens the door - like, anicient old. He's about a block and a half tall, hunched over so he can barely walk. Whatever hair he's got left is snow-white, and he has this long beard that I want to pet.

That's not weird at all, right?

"Are you traveling to Snowpoint City?" The old man says in a quiet voice, so quiet that I have to bend down to hear him. I nod, shivering like crazy, and the man stands back and says, "Come in, come in! I see a lot of you young'uns traveling up North these days..."

He goes on and on, probably telling me stuff about Snowpoint City, but I don't hear him. I'm tuned out, thinking about other things. Like, how I must've looked when I came into his house. I was covered in snow, shaking like crazy, with no idea where the Nether I was or where I should be going. But then again, this guy's probably seen a lot of people like me.

He moves suprisingly fast for an old man, and has a cup of hot chocolate in my hands before I can even sit down. "Thank you," I whisper and gulp half the mug down in one sip.

Note to self: Next time you're traveling to Snowpoint City, bring a winter coat!

Mitch and Jerome don't know where the heck I am. Maybe they're looking for me again, just like they did when I went back to the army base.

Hopefully they're okay.

Another loud knock comes from the doorway, so loud that I jump in my seat by the fireplace. The old man rushes to the door, and exchanges a few words with whoever's standing there.

When he lets the person in, I nearly drop my hot chocolate mug in suprise, and the person's eyes widen to the size of diamonds.

"Ian?"

"Quentin?"

Jerome's POV

"I got the pumpkin, Jerome!" Mitch shouts from somewhere else in the forest.

"Come back here so we can build the snow golem!" I shout back.

"On my way, biggums!" Mitch's voice moves closer and closer.