Chapter 7: Who's That?

Jason's POV

Kermit and I found a boy, about our age, outside the entrance of Skybrine's cell. He claims to be peaceful and harmless, but by the look in his eyes, I can tell he's up to something.

And that's not a good thing.

"Calm down!" he screamed when he saw my electro gun pointed at his head. "I'm not gonna hurt you!"

Hesitantly, I put the gun away. "You sure?" I asked.

The boy nodded. "I don't want to hurt anyone. I kinda found this place by accident, and that jerk - " he tilted his head in the direction of Skybrine's cell " - killed my best friend. And I want revenge."

So now we're just waiting until Ty gets back.

"Hey, Jason," Ty says as he walks into our house. He's back to normal form, no wings, claws, purple eyes, or fangs. "I got - " He pauses when he sees Seto, who's sitting in a corner, reading some book. "Who's that?"

Seto looks up. "The name's Seto."

"Nice to meet you, I guess," Ty mutters. "What are you reading?"

At that, Seto flinches and scoots even farther back into the corner and hides in his super-long cloak. "Nothing..."

"It's gotta be something important, if you're that overprotective," Ty says.

"Well, maybe I don't want to share it with you, just like you don't like to share the fact that you're an Ender!" Seto hisses.

Ty gasps and backs up a few steps. "How do you know?"

"I can tell stuff like that," Seto says, smiling. "For example - " he points at me, " - you've got the curse of the Wither, stage three. And you," he points at Kermit, "you're broken on the inside..."

I ball my hands into fists. Is it bad that I just met this guy, and I already want to murder him?

Get it under control, Jason...

"Can I talk to Skybrine?" Seto says, breaking the silence. When no one says anything, he mutters, "I'll take that as a yes," and leaves the room.

Okay then...

Ian's POV

I screwed up big time, didn't I?

Yes, you did, Ian!

So I ended up back in the army's base. Those rumors were true...

Mitch and Jerome have probably already forgotten about me. I'd only been with them for a few hours, so why would they care? They wouldn't put their lives in danger for a crazy, insane guy that they just met.

Why did you even meet them in the first place? You knew you were gonna get caught again!

I probably wouldn't.

Life here at the army base is pretty darn boring. When I was a kid, it was my dream to join an army and be a war hero. Now, I kinda regret that. It's all blood and death, not the fantasies I had as a child.

I think everyone here has lost their heart at one point or another. They all say, get the job done, no matter the cost. But is that really worth it if the cost is losing your best friend?

Yeah, just talk to us and we'll make it all better!

These voices are seriously annoying.

*flashback*

"Ian! Come here!" a cheerful voice called.

"I'm coming!" an eleven-year old me whisper-yelled, running over to my best friend.