Chapter 16: There's No Going Back

Mitch's POV

Jerome, Ryan, and I met up with the other group back where we started, at the entrance to the woods.

And this time, they've got someone else with them.

"Ian?" Jerome and I ask at the same time, our mouths dropping open.

"Uh, what?" Ian's looking back and forth between the two of us. "Oh, um... hi."

"Wait, you know them?" Jason says.

Ian nods. "I was traveling with them before we got separated."

"Where the nether have you been?" I ask.

"Tell you later. It's a long story," he says. "So, where are you guys all going?"

"Back to Mitch's house. We've all been staying there," Jerome says. "I mean, he's the only one who knows anything about this place!"

I laugh. "Yeah, let's go. It's nighttime. I've gotta go home."

And with that, all seven of us - us being Jerome, Ryan, Ian, Ty, Jason, Kermit, and I - head back to my house.

"Something's wrong," I hear Jason mutter. "I can feel it."

I just ignore that comment and keep walking.

We turn onto the street where my house is, and I break into a run to get to the house.

And I run into a solid bubble.

"What the heck?" I ask, placing my hand in front of me. It feels like there's something like glass between where I'm standing and my house.

Ty places his hand in front of him, and he touches the invisible bubble. "A forcefield," he says quietly.

Suddenly, it feels like time has slown down, and the invisible barrier disappears. There's my house.

But it's burning.

And there are five other people there.

No. No.

I have to get to my family!

Without thinking, I run forward, towards the burning house.

"Mitch!" I hear someone call behind me. I ignore the voice and keep running.

"What are you thinking?" Someone grabs my arm. It's Ryan. "Look. We stay together, okay?"

I glance behind me. All of my friends followed me through the barrier.

There's no going back now.

"Look who decided to join the party," a familiar, creepy voice says. "Mitchell Hughes and his friends."

My blood goes cold. I know that voice...

Herobrine and Nyxus...

I slowly turn around. Two of my family's greatest enemies float in the air behind and above me.

My family is one half of the Minecraftian Defenders, born to protect Minecraftia from all evil. I've heard rumors thay the other family of Defenders was murdered by Herobrine.

And if so, my family is the last of the Defenders.

To their left is a boy in a purple hoodie, to their right is a mutant. The hoodie boy is twitching around, trying to say something.

Jason, Ty, and Kermit all gasp when they see him. "Seto..."

He opens his mouth to speak. His eyes are brown, and he says, "I'm... not... myself... careful..."