Chapter 28: Traitor's Trap

Jason's POV

"It's snowing!" I hear Ty shout from the front door. "Really?"

"It's December, after all," I shrug, pulling my gloves on and joining Ty at the front door. I can see the snow falling lightly, making a thin white blanket over the ground. The sun is just beginning to set, and the shadows are getting longer and longer.

"That's bad," Mitch says from somewhere behind me. I hear a crash as two of his knives fall out of his belt, and he bends over to pick them up. "We'd leave tracks in the snow, and if the soldiers are smart enough, they'd follow the tracks and lead them straight to Lilly. We can't do that to her."

"Are we still going, then?" Ryan asks. "If we go, we might get caught."

"Can't someone teleport?" Quentin suggests.

Ty and I exchange a glance but don't say anything. I know he'd rather not tell anyone about the fact that he can teleport.

"SETO!" we all shout in unison.

"What?" He stumbles down the stairs, looking a lot more tired than he did this morning.

"Can you teleport us to Lilly?" Ian asks.

Seto shakes his head. "I'm not coming with you guys. Too tired."

"Is there something wrong?" Ty asks him.

"Nope, nope, nothing at all," Seto says as he runs upstairs again.

"Does anyone else think he's been acting a bit strange lately?" Jerome says to everyone.

Everyone, including me, raises their hand.

"What's going on?" Sky asks, poking his head out of his bedroom door.

"We're going to see Lilly tonight, don't you remember?" Quentin reminds him, leaning against a wall as he speaks.

"Oh yeah," Sky mutters.

"Wait a second... you can teleport! Why can't you take us all there at once?" Ian asks.

To be honest, I completely forgot about Sky's powers.

Sky sighs. "Fine. Someone's going to have to tell me where to go, though." He reaches for an empty knife sheath on his belt, then clenches his fists when he realizes it isn't there.

"Does anyone have an extra knife?" Sky asks.

Mitch tosses him an iron one. "It's not the best, but it'll do."

Sky runs his finger over the sharp blade and slides it in his sheath.

"Everyone grab hands," Sky says, and we all hold on to each other and stand in a circle. Ty is on one side of me and Quentin is on the other.

"We're going to a place outside of town," Jerome says to Sky. "Lots of trees, a fallen log, a towering spruce tree directly above us..."

Sky nods. "I've got the place in my mind. Three, two, one..."

I shut my eyes, and my body feels like it's being thrown through a tornado, but I never let go of Ty and Quentin's hands.

When I open my eyes, we're all still holding hands, and we're standing under a tall spruce tree, just like Jerome described it.

"I didn't think you were coming!" I hear a girl's voice laugh from above us.

Mitch looks up and calls, "Well, we're here!"

A girl lands on the ground next to Mitch, and even in the dim light, I swear I can see him blushing.

Oooh. Does someone have a crush?