Chapter 20: On A Night Like This

Mitch's POV

The Royal family is dead.

And Herobrine rules the kingdom.

I glance over at Sky and see the wheels turning in his head. He's probably thinking that if he can get back to Herobrine, they will fight together.

That can't - and won't - happen.

Otherwise we're pretty much all doomed.

I mean, Herobrine's the King already. How much worse can it get?

*a few hours later*

I lay awake, sprawled out on my bed. I can't seem to fall asleep tonight.

Maybe it's because of what happened to my family.

I hear Ryan, Quentin, and Ian snoring loudly from the other beds. Jerome insisted on taking the couch in the other room. Apparently he likes it better than a bed.

Whatever.

I slide out of bed and tiptoe over to the window. The moon is at half tonight, and the snow is lightly falling.

It was on a night like this, years and years ago...

*flashback*

"Look at all those boxes!" five-year old Mitch exclaimed, pointing at the boxes on the neighbor's driveway. They were sitting on the porch of Mitch's house, watching the new neighbors unpack as they sipped their hot chocolate. The two boys had spent the entire day playing in the snow, and they were tired. The sun was starting to set.

"My mom told me that both of our new neighbors have boys," five-year old Rob said happily.

"Great!" Mitch grinned. "Should we go say hi to them?"

"It's almost nighttime," Rob said. "We should probably wait until morning."

"Do you think I care?" Mitch said, setting down his mug of hot chocolate. "Lezzgo!"

"Mitch, you have horrible ideas," Rob muttered, shaking his head, but he followed Mitch anyway.

"This family's gotta be rich or something," Mitch whispered as he and Rob crouched behind the rosebushes. "Look at all the stuff they've got!"

"That's a lot of redstone stuff," Rob said, pointing to a box that was labeled Redstone.

"And TNT," Mitch said, looking at the box next to it. "Wonder why they'd have that."

"Okay, bye, Mom!" they heard another voice yell, and the back door opened and shut.

A boy stood in the snow, and he ran right past Mitch and Rob's hiding spot, and picked up the redstone and TNT in the driveway. Then he disappeared into the woods behind the houses.

"He's our new neighbor!" Mitch said excitedly. "Let's go!"

"But Mitch - " Rob started to protest. "I wanna go see the other new kid!"

"Fine," Mitch said. "Let's go."

They headed across the street to Rob's house, and went up to his bedroom, which was on the second floor, in the corner. From there, they could see into the windows of the new neighbor's house next door, and across the street to Mitch's house and the other new neighbor.

All the lights were off next door except for an upstairs window facing them.

One of the windows had a steady glow coming through it that definitely wasn't torchlight.