Chapter 12: I Know You...

Ian's POV

Quentin and I walked the rest of the way to Snowpoint City in silence the next morning, after getting a good night's rest at that old man's house.

As we walked through the entrance to Snowpoint City, my mouth dropped open.

This place is absolutely beautiful.

Freshly fallen snow glitters like crystals on the ground, icicles hangs from tree branches and the roofs of houses, children laugh and play in the snow. I can see why Mitch loves this city so much. It's a winter wonderland.

"It's beautiful," Quentin whispers.

"I know," I reply.

Just then, another boy shoves past me, running in the direction of the town hall as quickly as he can with a white wolf following behind him. Is something wrong?

"Sorry, excuse me!" he shouts, not even looking back at me.

"Rude much?" I mutter, dusting snow off my coat.

A few minutes later, he runs past again, this time with a bunch of medics following him. He's yelling something about a boy... and a bacca?

Jerome! Is he okay?

"I was supposed to come here with two of my friends," I tell Quentin as we walk the cold, snowy streets of Snowpoint City. "But I left them behind in the woods, and I don't know where they are. I just hope they're okay."

"Yeah," Quentin mutters.

Mitch's family lives here... maybe I can find them? It's a long shot, but at least I can try.

"Hey, sir," a little boy says, tugging on my arm. "Do you know when my brother's coming home?"

"No," I say. "Who's your brother?"

"Mitch. You know him?" the boy tilts his head to the side. If he's Mitch's brother, I can see the resemblance already. "Black and red jacket, blue jeans, looks like me?"

I try to hold in my laughter at that last part. Of course he looks like Mitch; they're brothers! "Yeah, I know. He's coming today, I think."

His eyes lighten up. "Thank you, sir! Have a great day!" He skips off happily and runs to join the other children.

Quentin is still standing behind me. "Well... that was awkward."

"You think?" I remark sarcastically.

"Hey, I think I know what we're gonna do today," Quentin grins, pointing to a sign.

Mount Holly - Skiing and Snowboarding, Open 9:00 A.M. - 11:00 P.M.

"Wanna go?" I smile.

"Absolutely!"

We head outside of town and easily find the huge, towering slopes, where people are already lining up to get in a lift.

This brings back memories...

*flashback*

I was ten years old, and it was Quentin's ninth birthday. My mom decided to take the two of us out to Mount Ender to go skiing and snowboarding. Legend had it that there was an End portal somewhere in the mountain, but everyone used it for skiing and snowboarding anyway.

I nearly died going snowboarding the first time, but Quentin and I got the hang of it eventually.

We had a lot of fun that day.

It's one of my last happy memories of Quentin and I as kids...

*flashback end*

(A/N: yeah, that flashback was pretty much pointless...)