Chapter 7

Once I walked back to my dorm building from the school, I remembered that I had to text Yukio about the assignment, and I flopped to sit on the couch with my bag on the floor. I created a new contact, filling the information in with the number he had written down. I had to interpret two of the numbers, hoping I got them right.

I opened a new message, and typed out a text. Hey, is this Yukio?

I picked up my bag and began heading upstairs until my phone buzzed. I stopped in the middle of the stairway to read the message. 

Yes, it is. Is this Akilina?

I quickly tapped out a reply, my fingers making tiny noises on the screen. Yes. Sorry, I wasn't sure if that was a 3 or an 8 on the paper, haha.

As I reached my desk and sat down, I received another reply. Oh, my apologies. My handwriting isn't always the best.

I replied once again, opening the shutters to my window and staring out at the sky. I could see the Okumuras' dorm building from where I was, and moonlight lit the roofs. It's okay. But do you have an idea which book we should use for our assignment?

I looked through the list, and Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe looks somewhat newer. Have you read it yet, Yukio responded.

No, I don't think I have. I'll pick up a copy from the bookstore. Do you want me to pick one up for you, also, I sent back.

That would be great, thank you, replied Yukio.

Okay, I sent him, I'll pick up the books and give you your copy in Chem tomorrow.

I stared across my desk at the piles of books and papers. I looked through all of the assignments, beginning to finish the homework I had already been given.

Well, they don't call it Cram School for nothing, I thought.

Even with the seemingly unending pile of homework, I managed to finish the homework in nearly two and a half hours, just past ten. I realized I would actually have to study to pass the rest of my classes, and began reading through the rest of the materials.

What if I'm not cut out for it here? I'm not really intelligent, putting me in all AP and honours was a mistake, what if I fail?

The exorcism training here will be much different than what I did, what if I can't get the concepts?

What did Yukio mean when he said it was a long story about Shiro?

How did I just happen to meet his sons?

Why did Yukio just immediately close off once I mentioned Shiro?

Why would I even think about that? Why does it matter?

I sighed and flipped the page over, but the once easy-to-read characters became foreign to me as I found it difficult to focus.

I'm not meant to be here. I'm going to fail.

Yeah, especially because I'm not focusing on studying, I scolded myself.

But either way, I don't have the intelligence or individual thought to be here, I got into these classes by luck.

I sighed and hit my head on my desk, remaining in that position with my forehead sore for minutes. My phone buzzed, and I sat up only slightly to read the message.

Hey, are you doing okay, Yukio had sent me.

My face contorted in confusion. I looked up, my gaze reaching out the window in front of my desk. There was a window in the Okumuras' dorm facing mine, the light in the room turned on and the shutters open. Yukio sat at a desk just behind the window, just barely close enough for me to distinguish his facial features. He adjusted his glasses and gave me a soft smile from his dorm.

Yeah, I wrote back, ADHD doesn't like to let me focus sometimes, haha.

I looked back up and saw Yukio gaze down at his phone until I received a reply. Okay, just let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

I tapped absentmindedly on the screen with my thumb, and I took out another textbook. Again, I couldn't focus for more than two seconds on the text.

I dropped my open Calculus book on my desk loudly and rested my head on my hand. I tried to read over and memorize each thereom and equation, but I couldn't remember what I had just read the moment I changed the focus of my eyes.

I sighed again and erased a tiny chibi doodle I had made in the corner of the page.

I'm never gonna make it through this school like this.

Definition of continuity.... I know this, I did it years ago... lim x...

I don't know anything. Why does it matter, anyway?

My thoughts drifted again, causing me to mentally slap myself. What's wrong with me?

D over dx times u to the power of n equals.... N times u to the power of n times....

I dropped my head on the desk again, creating a bang to echo. My head still hurt as I stood up, looking out the window. I could see Yukio at his desk, writing something.

I checked the time. 11:40.

May as well go get the books now.

I changed into a black long-sleeve v-neck and light blue jeans, sliding my wallet and phone into the back pockets. It was nice to wear something with pockets again.

I walked down across the bridge towards the school, reading over Yukio's text again. Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe.

I had to wander around for what seemed like hours until I found the bookstore. The huge building was chock-full of racks and shelves with books crammed together in alphabetical order. It was mostly empty, with a couple of staffs and maybe two students.

I ran my fingers over the spines of the books, dust and dirt collecting on the pads of my hands. I read each title over in my head.

Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe. I picked up the red hard-cover book from the shelf. There were two other copies, one red and one black. I picked up the black hard-cover copy of the book and carried the two to the counter, where the worker turned to me.

"Find everything you need?"

"Yes," I replied softly, "Thanks."

"That'll be eighteen-hundred yen, please."

I handed the woman the bills and took the two books from the counter along with the receipt. I headed out of the bookstore, and began my trek back to the dormitory.

I'm not gonna be sleeping tonight, I decided as I looked at my watch, seeing it was half-past two, Nothing new, but I don't have any coffee.

I stepped quickly across the bridge until I saw a masculine figure sitting on the railing,  legs crossed. The person looked over at me as I walked closer to pass by, and I gripped my keys tighter in my hand.

"Oi, Katai, what're you doing out here so late?"

I sighed and relaxed my grip on my keys. It was only Rin. I walked up closer towards the boy until I could see his face in the moonlight. "Just couldn't sleep. Decided to go pick up the book that Yukio and I need for our Literature assignment together."

"You're working with Four-Eyes on an assignment?" He laughed. "What, he gonna give you all the answers?"

I grinned and shook my head. "He better not. I'm gonna show him that I'll get a better grade than him in the damn class." I sat with my legs crossed on the wide railing of the bridge, facing Rin.

"So... He's your teacher for one class... And your classmate in another? That's strange," he laughed. "So what happens if you two end up dating? Would it be illegal or not?" Rin laughed again.

"I guess we won't find out because I have no intentions on dating anyone, including Yukio."

Rin grinned and laughed once more. "Awh, why not? Four-Eyes needs a girlfriend, loosen him up a bit!"

I laughed at Rin. "I barely know him! And stop calling him Four-Eyes!"