Chapter 43

I tightly wrapped the sweater of Yukio's I had around me, and Yukio did the same with his uniform jacket as we padded through the thin layer of snow on the path, talking as we walked.

"Will you be okay watching over them?" I asked as the topic of the Exam came up.

"Yes, I'll be okay. It's not just me, it is many of the other teachers and exorcists, as well, just in case anything goes wrong."

I nodded, keeping closer to Yukio as cold wind stung my face. "Will you be okay with Shura?"

I shrugged as Yukio put one of his jacket-covered arms around me. "I should be, you said she's not going to do anything, so it should be okay."

"Okay, text me when you get back to your dorm."

I nodded. "I will. I'll have time to get ahead of you in Chemistry, then," I teased.

Yukio gave a gentle amused smile as he looked down, adjusting his glasses. "Don't count on it."

"Mmmhm," I hummed, "You're just jealous that I'm better at stoichiometry than you. And you call yourself a doctor," I gave a light laugh.

Yukio's chest shook as he chuckled. "You wish. If you'd like something else to do to keep occupied, I'd be happy to assign you extra homework for my class."

"I'd still have time to get farther ahead of you," I teased back, mirroring Yukio's grin.

"In that case, I can get you something else to do after I get back," I saw a slight change in the boy's eyebrows.

I felt my face heat up pink, and I hid behind the collar of my shirt with a quiet nervous "I'm good."

Yukio shook again with another chuckle, rubbing his hand across the shoulder it rested on. "I'm joking, Minette."

"I know," I replied softly, giving another soft laugh.

The street was only meters away now, we could see the red bus sitting at its stop. Shura stood near the doorway, seemingly unfazed by the freezing air on her very-exposed skin. Her arms were crossed as she leaned against the bus.

"God, took you two long enough, can you fuck on your own time? Hurry up."

I had to control my breathing to try to make sure my face didn't blush again, and Yukio came with me to the edge of the sidewalk by the bus.

"I will see you after this," Yukio turned to me. "Stay safe, Minette."

"You too. Be careful."

Yukio carefully closed the gap between us, pressing his lips against mine. I kissed him back, feeling a soft smile on his face. As he pulled away, I felt his breath on my jaw, my heart jumping. He pressed a gentle kiss to the back of my jaw and whispered "I love you."

Chills went up my back. "I love you," I echoed back to him quietly. He pressed another gentle kiss to my lips, his warm breathe brushing against my face before he slowly pulled away.

As Yukio turned, not even looking at Shura, he headed back down the path.

"Hurry up," the pink-haired woman commanded, then her kissy lips turned into a smirk. "I'm sure you two will have plenty of time to get down with it after."

I felt my face heat up red, and I gazed down as I headed up the steps of the bus to sit in one of the middle seats.

Once I had gotten off at the Academy and walked to my dorm building, I pulled out my phone and sent a text to Yukio.

Hey, just wanted to let you know I got back to the dorms okay. Hope everything is going good ❤

Several minutes after I had gotten back into my building and stripped off my sweat-and-snow-covered clothes, my phone vibrated again.

Seems to be going well. See you tonight after, I'll tell you what happens then ❤

I changed into a thin red hoodie and my black leggings, then put my old clothes- along with Yukio's sweater- in the dorm building washing machine.

True to my word, I did begin to read through my Chemistry textbook and take my notes on the chapter, studying the text intently and only pausing to put my clothes from the washer into the dryer.

I stepped outside later on in the evening, Yukio still not back from his exam a few hours later. It was freezing, still, as wind blew across the ground and iced over every surface. I shivered and headed back inside, checking my phone to see if either of the Okumura boys had texted me. My notifications were clear.

I pulled out Yukio's cream-coloured sweater from the dryer, the fabric still warm from the machine. I pulled it over my arms as I walked across the dorm building, buttoning up the small buttons on the bottom half of the sweater. I slipped my casual shoes back on and headed outside, pulling my hair over my cold ears as I held my phone in one hand, trekking over to the empty Okumura boys' dorm building.

The door was impressively easy to open-they hadn't even locked it, surprisingly. I shook my head to myself at the boys, surprised more at Yukio than Rin.

I headed into the kitchen, flicking in the lights as I checked the time. 7:36.

"Mrrow?"

I turned my head at the meow. Kuro stood at the counter of the island, cocking his head.

"Hey, bud," I greeted softly, scratching his head. The black demon cat meowed louder as he grinned. "Wanna help me make some dinner for the boys?"

Kuro meowed again, and I could only take it as a yes. I began raiding through the kitchen cabinets, finding what they had before I could decide what to make.

Kuro watched for nearly an hour from where he sat on the counter as I cooker, the cat meowing occasionally. Sometimes I would pretend I could understand what he said- even though he knew I didn't- and would talk to him with full conversations as I cooked. I knew there was another small demon around here that I had met, Ukobach, but he was nowhere in sight- so I decided he was in hiding somewhere.

"Is someone here?"

I turned my head at Yukio's voice. "It's just me."

I heard a relieved sigh from Yukio, and he came into the kitchen. His eyes were more tired than before, but his slightly-wrinkled uniform was still worn as perfectly as before. His uniform jacket was wet and icy from the cold, and his shoes were the same. The boy gave me a soft smile. "Are you cooking something?"

"Vegetable tempura. I think it looks okay," I shrugged.

Yukio left his backpack in the dining room on one of the tables and walked over to where I stood. "I believe it looks fantastic, Minette."

I smiled at the boy as he leaned down, putting his arms around my shoulders and resting them there with his face resting on my hair. I could tell easily how tired he was, which seemed to make him at least slightly more feely.

"It's just about done if you want to eat," I suggested, "Do you know where Rin is?"

"The ExWires are staying the night in the infirmary. No complications, just procedure."

"Did they all pass?"

"Yes, we haven't told them so yet, though. I will tell you more if we can eat first."