Chapter 51

A/N: peep the new cover my dudes

.

After our somewhat celebratory dinner, we made our way back to our dorm buildings on the edge of the campus. I suggested to Yukio that he come hang out at my own dorm so that Rin could have their dorm building to himself, and he agreed. So, saying goodbye to Rin for the time being, Yukio and I made out way across the loud gravel under the dark sky, our fingers still wrapped around each other.

"Great job, Minette," Yukio praised gently as we sat on one of the couches in the dorm building.

"I couldn't have passed if you hadn't helped," I shrugged gently as I leaned against his chest.

"It was still all your own work," the boy nodded with his trademark soft smile, pushing his glasses up. "Now perhaps Sir Pheles will put you on a mission or some field work here soon. There's plenty going on that we haven't been able to tell the Pages or ExWires yet."

I cocked my head slightly, resting my head on my hand, which was lying on the boy's chest. "What do you mean?"

Yukio's chest fell slightly with a silent sigh. "Mostly to do with Rin, having to make sure nothing will go wrong. But not only that," the boy paused, staring straight forward for a few seconds. "There's been an increase in demon possession, I suppose you could say. The Academy isn't as safe as it used to be, and it's not just because of Rin. Over the past few years, they've said it's been getting worse. Demons are breaking through the barriers and protective charms, more than just what we've told the ExWires."

"Wow," I breathed out as I slowly blinked at the boy. He turned back to me with a gentle smile.

"Yes, so True Cross more than ever now needs certified exorcists who can try to understand why this is happening, to repair the barriers, and generally protect the Academy. Sir Pheles will probably give you a briefing on it himself before he employs your help."

I nodded against Yukio's chest. "With all that happening, do you think it would really be a good idea for me to apply as a teacher's aid, then?"

"Unless Sir Pheles tells you otherwise, I think you should still do it if you'd like to. Fixing all of this can't be a daily activity, nobody knows how to. It's simply a matter of research while protecting the Academy from incoming demons."

I nodded again, my eyes slowly beginning to close as I sighed. Fatigue washed over me as I spoke to the brunet again. "How often do they send exorcists on special missions for this type of thing?"

"Not often," Yukio admitted as he reclined on the couch further, his feet on the coffee table. "There have been a few, though. I believe Todo was sent with a small team to Southern China to negotiate with exorcists there about working together and trading supplies. Before we came here, Tsubaki I know went last year to a few countries in Eastern Europe to research on demons that usually originate outside of Japan."

I let off a small hum against Yukio's chest, my eyes still fallen shut. "Then I'll probably still apply to be a Cram School teacher's aid."

"You get assigned your teacher, you'll have to hope you don't get assigned anyone too awful."

"I just have to hope I'm not assigned Neuhaus."

"I don't believe he has put in any requests for aids. He's a loner. As far as I know, Sir Pheles will have the choice to put you with me, Todo, Adachi, and maybe Angeline."

I gave another airy hum in reply. "Adachi might be fun to work with if I'm put with him," I admitted, "He's a nut, but Grimoire Lit is fun to study."

Yukio's chest vibrated with a hum. "True, however most of his classes are in the morning, when you will still have class."

"Hm," I breathed out. "Then I might actually be assigned with you, since our schedules line up almost perfectly in terms of when we're at Cram School or have free periods. Mephisto might not want to assign me as your aid, though, since he knows we're together."

I could feel Yukio's chest fall more as he began falling asleep, too. "Maybe."