Chapter 34

Akilina Katai's POV:

When Monday came after a rather uneventful Sunday of homework and studying, I packed up my schoolbooks in my bag and showered before fitting into another one of my many uniforms, then headed out of my dorm building. Yukio wasn't outside yet, so I headed down towards his dorms. 

The boy met me halfway between the dorm buildings, holding his bag strung across his left shoulder as usual. His face was covered in exhaustion, but he still managed to give me a small smile as we approached each other. "Hello," he greeted.

"Hey," I smiled back, "You okay? You look exhausted," I commented, worried for the other student.

"Yes, sorry. I was working some long hours last night grading and studying."

I nodded as I turned towards the bridge to the Academy. "So does that mean you got our quizzes graded?" I teased him as I held the books that weren't in my bag against my chest.

Yukio chuckled. "I did, but don't think just because we're dating I'll go soft on you," he teased back, gently pushing my side with the side of his arm.

"You better not," I commented to him, standing up straight to playfully act puffed out, "You better grade me harder than anyone else so I can prove I'll be better than you in the end!"

"Oh, I'll be sure of it," Yukio grinned, nodding with a small laugh. 

.

I picked up my books from my desk quickly once the bell rang, sliding them into my bag and slinging it over my shoulder as I stood up straight. I chatted with Yukio on our way out of the Chemistry classroom, then turned to him in the fork in the hallway where we usually split. "I'll see you in Pharmaceutics," he said. 

"Bye," I replied with a small smile, leaning up on my toes, meeting him halfway through the distance between our faces as we quickly kissed and headed off to our next classes. 

"Oi!" I heard a girl shout from behind me. "Oi, Katai!"

I heard my name and turned my head slightly as I continued walking to class, and I saw a brunette girl with glasses from a few of my classes. She rushed up to walk next to me. "Hello," I greeted her. 

"So you are dating him?" The girl- Kashino I believed her name was- had masked irritation in her voice.

I internally sighed to myself, realizing that's what this is about? "Yes, I am, why do you ask?"

"Why would he date you?" Her voice went higher and louder, and she slammed the book in her hand on her thighs as she walked. Her jaw was tense as she bit down hard. "There's nothing you have that I don't! He  shouldn't be dating you." She turned her head to look me in the eye intensely.

"Uh, sorry," I shrugged slightly, a little taken aback- but not seriously surprised. "Probably because we were friends beforehand."

"That means nothing!" 

And perhaps the fact you all act like seven-year olds, I thought to myself, quickly making my way to the Cram School hallway and taking out my key to enter so Kashino couldn't follow.

With a sigh as I finally got into the Cram School hallway to take the long route around to class, my shoes made small taps on the mostly-empty hallway floor. I held tight to the books I couldn't fit in my bag, and I took out my key again once I hit another door to get back to my next class. 

.

"Now, you are not to brutally hurt your partner in this activity," Tsubaki shouted from the centre of the ring-shaped physical education room, "This activity is meant to teach proper hand-to-hand combat, not to send anyone to the infirmary!"

I faced off with Izumo, her purple hair still pulled up in pigtails. I brought my hands up, watching her moves. 

"So remember," Tsubaki continued, "No dirty moves. No hair-pulling, no biting or scratching, only what we have learned in class. You may begin."

Izumo went for her first hit without hesitation. I dodged down and observed her.

She steps before she hits, I decided. 

She's rash. Goes for her instinct without thinking.

She uses most of her weight on her legs, no upper body strength. 

As Izumo went for another hit, I grabbed her wrist and twisted her arm, pushing her to the ground. "Katai!" Tsubaki shouted out from his platform, "No dirty moves!"

I left Izumo on the ground and turned to him with an open-armed gesture. "How the hell was that a dirty move?" I shouted back at the man. 

"No arm-twisting!"

"C'mon, that's not how it works in real life! I didn't even hurt her!" I gestured back at the girl, who was already standing up perfectly fine. 

"No dirty moves! Don't make me say it again!"

I sighed and turned back to the girl, who was already in a sparring position. I mimicked her to signal I was ready, and she threw another punch. She aimed her fists and the occasional ankle at me, but I dodged and blocked her swiftly as I formulated a plan.

There really wasn't much I could do with Tsubaki's orders. If I pulled her leg over her head, he would get me for potentially giving her a concussion. If I punched her back, I 'could have hit a vital organ, and I have more strength to her.' Anything could have been a dirty move.

Izumo was already getting tired. Sweat formed on her forehead and her breathing was ragged. The only plan I could come up with to follow Tsubaki's rules were to let her tire herself out. So I did. 

The girl kept going to attack me, and thought was deep in her eyes. "What, you aren't even going to hit me?" The girl gave a small, almost playful, laugh.

"Don't want to get in trouble for making another dirty move," I declared with a small laugh that mirrored hers. 

Izumo sent a hard kick to my side, just barely grazing my hip before I pushed her leg away. She gave a tired huff before falling to the ground on her butt in exhaustion. 

"You okay?"

She nodded with a small smile as she accepted my open hand to help standing up. "Heh. Yeah."

"Katai! That wasn't real fighting! You can't survive fighting like that against a real opponent!"

I groaned loudly and turned to Tsubaki again. "Come on, man!"