Chapter 50

After calling Rin home, the raven-haired boy showed up with Kuro still on his shoulder. Yukio suggested we go to the local Yakiniku place just off the True Cross Campus once we had changed into more casual outside clothing. As we walked down the bridge together, Rin asked to see my new badge and ID.

"Wow!" He dragged out the 'ow.' "You're a real exorcist now, huh? This thing is so cool looking! Yukio never lets me touch his."

"That's for a reason, Nii-san," Yukio reminded him. 

"Yeah, you're a boring old man. This thing is awesome! Now it's like you're all grown, Akilina! You're flying from the nest, you aren't our child anymore!"

"I didn't think I was your child to begin with," I laughed at Rin as his eyes sparkled at my papers.

"What are all these other papers?" The raven haired boy flicked through all the pages, easily distracted.

"They're all the comments from the test supervisors and the reports," Yukio explained as he slid his hands into the pockets of his tight jeans. "A lot more goes into Exorcist Authorization Exams than the Exwire Exams."

"No shit," Rin commented as he looked through them. "Man, am I gonna have to fill out stuff like this when I become an exorcist? I don't wanna have to look over all the students!"

"You'll probably have to a some point, Nii-san," Yukio declared. "That is if you even become authorized as an exorcist in the first place."

"Man, that kinda blows. Unless it's like what yours was, Akilina! That sounded so badass! I wish I could've been there," Rin let a wide grin cover his face as he looked over at me. "Oh, right. Here."

The boy reached across Yukio as we walked, handing me the papers back. As I folded them into my pocket, I felt Yukio's hand gently brush against mine on my left, and I slowly let our fingers interlock together. I leaned closer to him as we walked, feeling heat radiate from his body in the cold air above the road we walked on. 

"So, you're not gonna be in class anymore, huh?" Rin pointed out as we sat at a table in the Japanese barbecue place. 

"Not as a student," I shrugged, "I can apply to be a teacher's aid, and only certified exorcists can do that for the Cram School, so I might do that."

"Awh," Rin's shoulder's slumped slightly, "It won't be as fun without you. I think you're the only one who doesn't hate me," he laughed.

"They don't hate you," I pointed out, "You just don't do your work!" I laughed softly back at him, leaning slightly against Yukio.

"I do, too!"

"No you don't, Nii-san," Yukio shook his head slightly, "When was the last time you turned in a homework assignment?"

"Just a few days ago, thank you, Four-Eyes!"

"Oh, you mean the one for Todo? He told me that you finished the first two questions and that was it! You didn't do the rest of it!"

"Well, you gotta start small, y'know? Baby steps! It's still progress," Rin defended himself.

Yukio shook his head with a small sigh. "Okay."

The raven-haired boy gave a small smirk, thinking he had won. Yukio shook his head again before looking at where I sat on his right, giving me a soft smile. 

"So, uh," Rin broke the short few-second silence. "You get to go on missions and shit now, too?"

"I can only guess so," I shrugged, "I think that's the point of being an authorized exorcist."

"Oh, that's a good point," Rin laughed, and I nodded with a small grin at him. "Man, when do I get to take my Exam?"

"Well, first you have to be an ExWire for a minimum of four months," Yukio declared, "And you have to pass all of your classes. Then you have to be referred by a teacher to Sir Pheles and he has to accept it."

"Oh, so that was easy for her, you just did the whole referring thing. That makes it easy, though! You won't do that for me," The boy protested, his pointy ears twitching slightly.

"Actually, it wasn't me who referred Akilina to Sir Pheles. It was Tsubaki."

"Wait, really?" I turned my head up at Yukio.

"Yes, he thought you were ready, and asked my thoughts on it weeks before your Exam. He was the one who referred you to the Headmaster." Yukio gave a gentle nod as he pushed his glasses up.

"Oh, I thought he hated me."

"No, of course not. It's hard to get most of these professors to hate anyone. Especially you."

"Ew. You're corny," I gave the boy a slight amused smile.

Yukio laughed, his chin tilting up slightly. "That is not what I meant. In this case, I meant because of your academic skills and cooperation with the professors."

"Man, I can't wait to be able to get through all this training shit," Rin gave a small sigh, "I'm already field-tested and everything!"

Yukio gave off another nearly-silent sigh as he fixed his glasses again. "Just do as I told you, Nii-san. Even if you have to figure it out the hard way."