Chapter 19

"I'm sorry?" Yukio's voice echoed from the other line.

"Uhm, a joke I made the other day. I meant to talk to you earlier, I just felt really bad about it because I know what it's like," I made a small nervous laugh. "But I didn't want to with Rin around. But he, uhm, a couple days ago Rin told me about you two. He told me about your guys' real father and..."

I trailed off and I heard a small sigh from Yukio. "Akilina, I am so sorry, I did not want to tell you. I completely understand if you want to stop talking to me or if you decide to drop out of Cram School, but-"

"No, no, no," I interrupted Yukio softly. "No, I-I understand. My family didn't have a very good name either. Not... to that scale, obviously, but I used to get made fun of when I was living in that area, so I... I know how it feels, especially if someone you talk to on a daily basis makes a joke like that. So I just wanted to say I'm really sorry about that."

There was only white noise on the other end. I stared across and saw Yukio still at his desk, staring down. "Akilina, I... It's okay, you weren't aware of the situation. But I really appreciate this, so thank you."

I nodded, even if Yukio couldn't see me. "Of course," I replied quietly. I paused for a moment, then opened my mouth again. "I'll see you Monday, then."

"I'll see you then," Yukio said in a slightly less depressed tone. 

I hung up the phone with a click, then leaned back in my chair with a sigh. He hates me, doesn't he?

.

In the morning, after I finally brought myself to get up and get ready, I quickly slung my bag over my shoulder and opened the front door. Yukio, as usual, was standing there waiting. 

"Good morning," he greeted. "You doing okay?"

"Yeah," my breath caught in my throat in slight surprise. "Yeah, I'm all good, sorry. Let's go."

Yukio nodded with a small smile as we began walking side-by-side across the bridge towards the Academy. "You think you've recovered well?"

"Yeah, I'm definitely feeling much better. I could have gone without missing several days of school, but I'm sure it helped in the long run, I guess," I laughed quietly.

Yukio grinned, a soft chuckle coming from his chest. "I'm sure it did, even though I'm sure you were reading and studying the whole time."

"Well, what else am I supposed to do?" I grinned back up at Yukio, the much taller boy looking down at me.

"It's called brain rest for a reason," he smiled. 

"I guess," I grinned and gazed down as Yukio held open the door to the school for me. "Thanks."

Yukio nodded. "Well, hopefully you haven't finished the entire Calculus book yet," he joked.

"Only a few chunks... Maybe a few big chunks of it."