Chapter 41

Once arriving back at the camp, I realized I may have been wrong on my interpretation of the drill. Izumo had managed to bring the lantern back on her own- by making her Familiars carry it. Takara gave no answer, and Rin and I agreed on the conclusion that he did some type of weird voodoo shit with his puppet doll.

"And whose idea was it for you all to work as a team?" Shura put her hands on her hips in front of us.

Everyone paused and began stuttering. 

"I-It was mine, Miss Kirigakure," I admitted quietly. "I found it and figured we misinterpreted the drill. I guess I was wrong."

The fiery-haired woman gave a small smirk with her pursed lips.

"You were right," Yukio appeared from behind Shura. "This drill was intended to force you to choose to work together. Some of you, however, are not as willing to do so and were able to complete it on your own. Good work to you all."

I kept my head down slightly, my face turning pink as it heated up. 

.

Over dinner the following evening, the entire class and its chaperones sat around the fire eating the food Rin had prepared from our rations. 

"Akilina, may I speak with you?"

I looked up at Yukio, my face beginning to heat up again. That was the first time he'd called me informally in front of the class.

"Y-Yes, of course." I stood up to follow the boy away from the group, in which I heard a couple oh's and other calls from Rin and the boys, making knowing hums.

"Y-Yeah?" I turned my head up to Yukio as soon as we were out of earshot of the group. The boy gave me a gentle smile, looking down at me through his glasses with his soft teal eyes.

"I wanted to tell you the purpose of this drill. What you were asking me two nights ago. Shura didn't trust you, she probably still does not."

I watched the other student, waiting for him to continue as he paused.

"We had a deal that if we took the class on a drill that would force them to have to choose whether they would work together or not, she would have to chaperone it with myself, and that if you chose to work with your classmates, then you were of no threat to the group and she would assume so. Otherwise, she would be keeping a harsher eye on you, and possibly bringing you to the Vatican for questioning. Mostly due to the fact of your being foreign and having exceeding knowledge for any other Cram School entrant, and being friends with Rin and I. The class has already been revealed Rin's... abilities, and it took them a while during the period you were gone for them to trust him again, and I know that not all of them do still. Shura might still suspect you for being a traitor, but on accordance of our deal, she is no longer allowed to question it or you."

I took in a small inhale at everything Yukio just spit out to me. "Uhm," I stuttered, "I-I don't... Wow."

Yukio gave a small nod. "Yes, so that is the true purpose of why we came here, along with it giving the Pages some field experience before their Exam. I'm very sorry I did not tell you, I wasn't allowed to."

I hook my head gently, and softly replied to Yukio. "It's okay... So what now? Is she staying here?"

"Yes. She is also assigned by the Vatican to watch over Rin. The Vatican knows nothing of her doubts in you, though, so you are safe."

I gave a small nod. "Thank you," I whispered.

"For what?"

I gave a small shrug to the boy as he pushed up his glasses. "Everything, I guess."

Yukio looked down at me with his trademark soft smile before he slowly reached out to me.I hugged Yukio tightly as he embraced me, pressing my face against the inside of his shoulder. I could smell his laundry detergent, the dirt he had been in, the melted snow, his deodorant. I felt calmer, no longer under the stress of the drill or what was bothering him. 

"So... what does that mean otherwise?" I asked as we gently pulled away. "Should we still hide our relationship from her? Or even our friendship?"

"I am okay with it being out in the open if you are, even with the class. There is no significant age gap between us, so there should be no issue. Shura is not allowed to question anything."

"And I wouldn't be surprised if Rin has already went and told almost everyone he knows," I gave a small laugh. 

Yukio looked down, shaking his head with a silent laugh. "Knowing my brother, I would not be surprised. However, I don't think he has."

Another small laugh sounded out from me as I slid my hands in the pockets of Yukio's sweater I still wore. "Probably not too awful now if he has."

Yukio gave me a small smile. "Should we head back over there before Rin eats the rest of the food?"

I nodded, still looking up at Yukio. I hesitated for a moment before leaning up at him, then began to close the gap between us. He did the same, closing his eyes as I did and leaning down towards me, and I felt his soft lips press against mine, sending warmth to me in the cold air.

As we turned and looked, several of the students were looking at us. Ryuji and the other Kyoto boys stared at us in shock, whereas Rin watched us with a knowing ear-to-ear grin. Shiemi was looking down away from us as soon as I noticed her, the girl's pale face turning pink. Izumo and Takara seemed generally disinterested as they ate.

.

I sat on the ground near the fire, staring absentmindedly at the orange and yellow flames as I leaned against Yukio, who sat with his legs crossed and one arm gently resting around my waist. The heat of the fire burned my face slowly, and I began falling asleep against Yukio as he watched his students talk and laugh, making the occasional comment.

"So, Teach," I heard Shima begin, using Rin's title for the boy. "Are you two... Like... A thing?" Even with my eyes closed, I could hear the embarrassment in the pink-haired boy's voice.

"Uh, yes," Yukio replied softly, trying to remain professional with the Kyoto boy.

"Whaaaaat?" This time, Shura's drunken voice sounded through. "You two are! I kneeeww it," the woman had obviously drank even more than yesterday, and in my half-asleep state I wondered how she had gotten so much alcohol through. "Better be careful, Mister Okumura," she drawled out, "Don't want trouble from Sir Pheles for dating a student."

"Yeah, what is with that," Rin piped up casually, "Is that even okay?"

"As both of us are still students, yes," Yukio replied, and I felt his chest tighten with social tension. "We are of the same age, and I am not only a Cram School teacher, but also a regular student at True Cross in many of the same classes as Akilina is."

"My baby bro has a girlfriend," Rin cooed playfully, "It's so cute."

"Nii-san!"