Chapter 24

Akilina Katai's POV: 

My hands trembled and shook. I gripped my phone tight in my hands as my knuckles turned white, and sunlight began blinding me from the window as the sun began to rise. 

She wants me to come back. She told me to fucking leave, that's why I came here. Why should I care if she's dying?

She's your mother, jackass, I told myself, You have to care.

But she never gave a shit about me, she told me she didn't want me anymore. 

I swallowed thickly, then brought my phone back up. I made a quick decision, then brought my phone up to my face. 

Bzz.... Bzz..... Bzz.... Click.

"Hello?" Yukio answered the phone. 

"Hey, Yukio, are you busy? I just wanted to ask you something."

"Of course, what can I help you with?"

"My mother... She.... She's really sick. I haven't talked to her since I moved, but she wants me back up in Toulouse to help her, she's really sick...D-Do you know if I would be able to take a week or so off school for this? Would Sir Pheles allow that?"

Yukio paused for a moment before he spoke. "I don't see why not. Go speak to him if you can, ask about getting excused leave from the Academy for the week. When would you be leaving?"

I looked down. "Probably Saturday... So that's tomorrow, if I can get a plane ticket."

There was silence on the other end of the phone for another moment. "Okay. Just please be careful, Akilina."

"Of course, I mean, my mother isn't exactly nice, but I shouldn't be in any danger."

There was another pause from Yukio. Something was wrong. "You okay, Yukio?"

"Yes," the boy replied after another pause, "Sorry. I just want to be sure that you will be safe. Contact Sir Pheles, I am sure that you taking leave will not affect your certification process."

I nodded, even though Yukio could not see me. "Okay. Thanks."

.

After talking to Mephisto and insuring that I will be okay with school, I talked to Yukio to tell him I would have to be at the airport tomorrow at seven in the morning for the sixteen hour flight. He insisted on coming to the airport to see me off to "make sure I would be okay."

Once morning came, the boy and I took a taxi to the airport, and walked to the boarding deck. The ride was mostly silent- there was obviously something on Yukio's mind. I finally decided to ask once we sat down together, waiting for my flight to be called. "So, what's wrong?"

Yukio still stared down at his crossed legs under his jacket, giving a soft smile. "Nothing," he shook his head. 

"Really, Yukio, did something happen with that woman a couple days ago or something?"

Yukio shook his head again, uncrossing one arm to push up his glasses. "No, I'm sorry. I'm just worried about you, that's all. I've... been able to check up on how you're doing while we are in close proximity to you, but I won't be able to from farther away. Even if I call, it would be easy for you to lie. I just want to know you'll be okay."

I nodded. "I'll be fine, Yukio, I promise."

"Delta Airline 1803 to Toulouse, France, Group A," a woman's voice sounded overhead. 

I pushed myself to slowly stand, picking up the backpack I had with some of my belongings. "I have to go, they'll call Group B soon."

Yukio walked with me towards the door, then I turned to him. "I'll see you soon, I promise."

Yukio nodded. "Call me if you need anything." 

I nodded, returning the boy's gentle smile. He stared at me, his teal eyes giving me a soft sympathetic look. "I will." I carefully wrapped my arms around Yukio in a gentle hug, which he unhesitatingly returned. "I'll be back next Monday. I'll text you or call you to check up, if you want."

Yukio nodded as I pulled away. "Please do."

"Delta Airline 1803 to Toulouse, France, Group B."

"I have to go. I'll text you when I get off."

Yukio nodded. "Goodbye, Akilina."

Before thinking twice about it, I reached up to give a gentle kiss on Yukio's pale cheek- which had since tinted pink. 

"Bye."

.

A/N: Oof that was short and cringey but it's okay