Chapter 28

A/N: Warning: Story-not-following-the-show's-sequence-of-events

Yukio and I were brought out into the rain again by another exorcist who led us to another vehicle. The black van-like car was able to hold several people, and we were told we would be brought back to the airport together, and that my belongings had already been picked up and taken care of. 

As I sat next to Yukio in the back of the vehicle, several other exorcists climbed into the seats in front of us. I leaned slightly up against the boy with my arms around myself, trying to keep from shivering in the cold air as I was still drenched in rainwater. The other student carefully put an arm around me, the warm interior of his jacket wrapping around me as he shared his long uniform jacket in the vehicle. One side of the jacket rested around my torso as Yukio held it there with his arm around me, leaning back against me. 

By the time the car had made it to the airport, I was nearly asleep in the backseat against Yukio. "We're here," the driver announced in his deep voice, "Another team member will meet you at security with both of your belongings and dry clothing. Your plane tickets should be inside."

"Thank you, Takashi," Yukio said as he began to open the door and leave the car.

"Thank you," I echoed with a nod. 

"Be safe, you two."

I followed Yukio to the front gate through sprinkles of rain much lighter than before. We had to gaze around the large inside of the airport before finding where security was and follow the path towards it. After managing to arrive at the log lines in front of security machines, Yukio pointed out a man in a long black jacket with two backpacks. 

Yukio showed his ID to the man and gestured for me to do the same. The man had to have only been in his twenties, with dark scruff around his face, and he remained completely silent to the point where it was almost creepy. Yukio took our bags from him, and the man nodded.

"Thank you, sir," Yukio told the man, who was only a couple inches taller than him. The man nodded again before strutting off towards the exit. 

"Kinda creepy," I commented softly as I slung my backpack over my shoulder.

Yukio chuckled, cleaning his glasses off. "A little, yes. Let's find the restrooms so we can change into some dry clothing."

The other boy and I found the restrooms, then entered our respective rooms to change. I found a thin slip of paper in the front pocket of my bag, the ticket I would need to board the plane. I came out of the restroom in only a couple minutes, wearing a new pastel pink pullover sweater and acid wash blue skinny jeans. Yukio was already waiting for me just outside wearing his maroon sweater and black pants. He had his own ticket in hand, too. 

"You ready?"

I nodded at Yukio, then began following him down through the airport. We checked through security and made our way to boarding, then waited for our flight. When the intercom called our flight overhead, we found our seats on the plane and sat next to each other. 

The plane ride overall was relatively boring. I was pretty sure Yukio fell asleep halfway through the sixteen-hour plane ride, leaning his head down with his arms crossed and giving off soft snores. 

"Ladies and gentlemen," the pilot's voice sounded overhead. "We will be landing in Tokyo, Japan in thirty minutes, so please stay in your seats and buckle your seatbelts. Thank you."

Once we landed, Yukio was already awake and stretching his shoulders out. As people quickly stood up to leave the giant metal toothpaste tube, Yukio and I grabbed our backpacks from the overhead shelf and began making our own way off. 

"Rin said he's going to meet us just outside the airport," Yukio declared, looking at his phone. 

Sure enough, once we left the doors of the airport, a blue-haired boy was standing on the sidewalk. "Hey!" He waved to us excitedly. 

The boy had a cat on his shoulder now. The furry black animal had a split tail and stood watching us. 

"Is that Kuro?" I asked excitedly, running up to the creature. 

"Uh, yeah," Rin looked over at the cat, "Oh yeah, you knew the old man, right?"

"Yeah!" I reached up to touch Kuro's fur, hoping he would remember me. The Cat Sidhe meowed with a grin, rubbing his head against my hand. "What happened to Kuro? Where's he been?"

"Uh, well, he kinda went berserk while you were gone because of what happened to the old man. I just met him, they kinda let him be my familiar once we calmed him down."

"That's great," I replied softly, stroking my hand through the happy cat demon's fur. 

"Uh, well I got us a taxi back to the school, didn't think you'd wanna walk," Rin said, pointing to the yellow cab.

The three of us piled into the car along with Kuro, who began dozing on Rin's lap. The driver could only take us to the entrance of the True Cross Academy, then we were on our own to get back to our dorms. 

"So uh, what happened?" Rin asked, putting his hands in his pockets as he walked with Kuro on his shoulder next to me. He gestured to his face. "You get beat up?"

"Oh, uh, yeah, kinda," I shrugged, "There was a demon attack."

Rin hummed. "Four-Eyes told me. He wouldn't let me go."

Yukio walked on the opposite side of me and looked a little irritated at being called Four-Eyes again.

"Why do you call him that?" I laughed, "You're so mean, I've told you that!"

"Well, hey, if it weren't for him, I'd be getting all the girls!"

Yukio smirked, pushing up his glasses. "I highly doubt that's true, Rin."