Chapter 55

Yukio and I both elected to buy the expensive lunches from the school before heading out to the courtyard to sit on the fountain like we usually did. Another couple of people sat on the side of the fountain opposite of us, but we couldn't hear anything they said. 

"Later on if you decide to finish grading those exams," Yukio began, "I may ask you to run to Tsubaki's class in order to give him some paperwork I owe him."

I nodded to the boy, my feet dangling off the tall cement of the fountain. "I can do that. And that's where Rin's class is during that time, too," I realized.

"Yes. So if you would like to join Tsubaki's lesson on gufus you can," he raised an eyebrow with a small smile, already knowing the answer.

"God, I'm good," I shook my head. "I don't think I'll miss that class."

Yukio chuckled, taking another bite from his salad. "However, I know it's a long trek to his class from mine, so if you want to go do it after our classes, you could."

I shrugged, finishing eating my own meal. "Unless you need me in the classroom, I can do it. I could probably be able to run down and back in fifteen minutes."

"All right," the brunet nodded. "Thank you, Minette."

"Of course, Yuki," I said teasingly. Yukio smiled and shook his head with amusement, finishing the food in his own lunch. 

After eating our lunch, Yukio and I headed back together in the hallway of people towards his classroom. As we walked in, there were already several students sitting around their desks and hanging around together in their uniforms. They appeared a mix of older and younger students, a class of ExWires. Yukio silently stepped up to his desk, and a few of the students calmed down to sit in their seats when they saw him. I picked up the pack of tests from Rin's class on Yukio's desk, taking the red pen on top I had been using before. I sat in the front right desk as I had before, and began grading as Yukio started a lecture. 

After finishing putting the red strikes through all the papers- Rin's especially- I picked them up, filed them in one neat stack to leave on Yukio's desk. He paused halfway through his lesson to look up at me from where I stood at his desk. "Would you be willing to take that folder of papers to Professor Tsubaki?"

I gazed across his desk, feeling his students' eyes on me. I picked up a thick manila folder, holding it up in question. The boy nodded, and I nodded back as I headed out of the classroom door. 

Walking down the empty hallway during a class period felt strange. I felt as if I was skipping class, although it was on assignment, and I had no class. I held the heavy pack of papers in the folder to my chest, one arm across it to hold it in place as I speed-walked to the gymnasium of sorts across campus. 

I trekked past classrooms and offices of all sorts down the wide hallway, my black flats tapping almost silently in the empty area. I passed by one or two other teachers, who simply gave me an acknowledging nod. It had to have been a solid five minutes of fast-walking in my thin shoes before Tsubaki's 'classroom' was in sight. I gazed through the window of the wide doors, not seeing much other than Tsubaki standing in the middle of the downward-cone-shaped gymnasium. He stared down at the ground from his platform, assumably at his students. I elected to open the door to walk over to him.

"Suguro! Okumura! What are you doing?" The professor yelled down. "That is getting you nowhere! This is not a race, it is a game of strategy! Must I refer to your conflict with the Reaper?"

As I walked across the gated bridge to Tsubaki's floor platform, I stared at the two boys. I black shadowy figure chained to the center pillar chased Rin and Ryuji around, and they pushed at each other to get around. "Er, Professor Tsubaki?"

"Yes?" The man turned around, towering over me with his arms crossed. "Oh, Miss Katai! How are you getting along with your new job?"

"Good, sir," I nodded. "I am acting as Professor Okumura's aid right now."

I saw Tsubaki give a small smirk and a nod. "I see."

"Ah... That's actually why I'm here right now. He asked that I give you these papers." I held out the thick manila folder to him.

"Oh, brilliant," Tsubaki nodded as he took the folder. "Thank you, Katai. While you are here, would you mind running a quick errand for me back to Okumura's classroom?"

"I can do that, sir," I nodded at him as he held the folder under his arms.

His students assumably forgotten, he reached over across his desk for another similar-looking manila folder. This one,however, had a printed label stuck to it. It had Todo's name and information on it. "Would you bring this paperwork to Professor Todo's classroom, as well? He may be teaching, but he will be happy to accept it, nonetheless."

I nodded again as I took the even thicker folder, holding it across my chest as I had the other one. "Yes, sir. Consider it done."

"Thank you, Katai," the professor nodded at me one last time as I began backing away.

"Oi! Akilina!"

I stared down at Rin, who had one hand on his hip and the other up waving at me. He was covered in sweat, his hair half-plastered down as he forgot about his challenge. I gave him a wave as I was walking out of the classroom.

My feet began hurting in my worn-down shoes as I quickly made my way across to the other side of campus to Todo's classroom. Luckily, his classroom would only be a short walk to Yukio's after. 

I batted away Coal Tars as they swarmed at me, and I huffed at them. The annoying creatures rubbed against the manila folder and bopped their heads into it as they flew, but I continued to try to swat them away. 

What's in this that they want? I realized that the Coal Tars had not done this before, on my way to Tsubaki's room. Against everything in my head telling me not to get in trouble, I swerved into the bathroom next to me, then held the folder in front of me. 

A few Coal Tars had followed me in, but I squashed their tiny bodies. I could heard Yukio telling me there was something I wasn't supposed to know in the folder. His voice, a tiny voice in the back of my head, warned me. The Coal Tars wouldn't want it, otherwise. I took a breath and very carefully began unsticking the glue strip that held the folder closed. The first paper inside was a hand-written letter in Japanese, certainly not in Tsubaki's writing.

Saburota Todo- 

It has been a long while since we've spoken. We still have our deal. I know the Order is protecting the Eye. You made a promise. I would like to speak with you, alone. Write me back here in the address I gave you to reply to so we can meet where others will not know. 

I stared at the papers, knowing Todo had suddenly involved himself in something that would mean bad news. The Eye? Is that code for something?

I wondered if maybe it was code for drugs, perhaps Todo had become involved in an international drug ring- but that would be too easy. That wasn't it. I skimmed through a few other pages, knowing I was losing time before I would be suspected by Todo or Yukio of opening something I should not have. Before closing the folder, one paper caught my eye. I slid the bleached-white paper out, a clean crease across the first half. It was addressed to Yukio.

Yukio Okumura-

You cannot hide from me for long. I know about your brother. He will still make an adept weapon for us, so consider my offer. But you must watch him. I can see you losing control of him- and yourself. Don't act as if we cannot see it. You are losing control. Watch yourself. Don't regret the things you do.