Chapter 65

The silence on the way back to True Cross was even heavier and more awkward than the trip from it. Neuhaus didn't say a single word, but I knew he was still radiating anger off for acting outside of my own position. I could not have cared less, I was only happy to have returned Asahi to his mother, but I knew something was coming in return for borderline humiliating Neuhaus.

I left the car quickly when we pulled up to the academy. Neuhaus followed, only giving a mumbled "Meet the Headmaster in his office."

I cleared my throat with a tiny nod. I didn't offer any other response, but continued on my path up to the school doors. I didn't see Neuhaus following me, and I wasn't sure if I should have been happy or fearful of that.

I gave two quick knocks on Mephisto Pheles' door, waiting for a response. As a muffled "Come in, Katai," replied, I puffed out a heavy breath as he recognized who arrived.

"Sir," I greeted, trying everything to keep my voice from cracking. I stood in front of his desk as he played with his pink flip-phone. "The job was successful, the raum has been exterminated, and we saved the only child who had been hurt today."

"So I've heard," the purple-haired demon gave a toothy grin. "Well done for a first job, Katai. This file here is the report for your work, and I will leave it to you to finish. Have it done by tomorrow morning before class. I need to file it before your colleague, Professor Neuhaus, decides he'd rather wish to report himself on your.... Assertive actions today."

A hard lump formed in my throat. I nodded, picking up the manila folding file from Mephisto's desk. "Yes, sir. It will be finished before the deadline."

"I expect so, Katai," he gave another creepy, toothy smile.

I nodded once more, holding the folder of papers close to my jacket. I opened the door I had come through, and padded quickly back down the hall from Mephisto's office. My heart was still pounding quickly and silently in my chest, but it slowed as I took a deep breath. "Okay," I mumbled under my breath. "We're okay."

My feet were starting to turn sore as I speed-walked across the campus. My brain turned to autopilot on my way back down to my dorm building. I could feel the sun beating down on my back through my jacket, but I only kept shuffling to where I lived.

I knew Yukio wouldn't be back at his dorm yet, he was still in his last class. I let out a heavy breath as I slid quickly into my dorm building. My chest fell with a heavy weight in my stomach, and I flopped onto the couch with another sigh.

I adjusted my jeans properly as I lied half on the couch, half with my legs hanging off the arm rest. It was an awkward position, nearly painful on my back. However, once I was down, I couldn't get the energy to get back up. Sweat still dripped down my skin in my heavy jacket, but I only let the black fabric drape itself around me still. My eyes lied half-open, staring up at the textured white ceiling.

I was nearly asleep when I heard the front door opened. I tensed up, but relaxed when I heard the distinct pat pat pat of Yukio's steps. I hummed softly in greeting as his shadow crept over my face. I opened my eyes just enough to see him standing over me, a little smile on his face and his arms crossed.

"That looks rather uncomfortable."

I only hummed again, closing my eyes and turning my head to the side. "Neuhaus can't do his damn job," I whined quietly.

There was silence for a short moment before Yukio spoke once more. "What happened?"

I turned my legs, pivoting so I sat properly on the couch. Yukio joined me on the cushions, sitting right next to me. "He just wanted to get rid of the demon and leave," I rubbed at my face. "He didn't even do anything, either. I didn't care much at first, because he just wasn't there when I took care of the raum. But then I was trying to help this little kid. I was helping this passed-out little kid, like I should as a Doctor, and find his parents. Neuhaus kept trying to get me to just leave and go, and he's insanely pissed now because I disrespected him in front of a team of other exorcists."

Yukio was only quiet as I complained about the man I worked with today. He nodded as I finished. "What did you say to him that was so bad that he's still angry?"

I shrugged, leaning back a little. "I told him it wasn't just our job to get rid of the demon, we had to help people. I told him to do his job and that I would do mine, and he certainly didn't like that I told other exorcists to help find the kid's mother."

"Anything you say could set him off," Yukio declared, one arm gently around my back. "I'm sure you know that. You did what you had to in order to help people, that's all you can do. There'll always be some type of fighting or arguing between exorcists on jobs. You just can't let it get to you."

I leaned my head against the inside of the boy's shoulder as I hummed. "Oh, I don't care if I disrespect him or humiliate him. That probably makes me a horrible person, but with Neuhaus, I really don't. I just don't want to be getting in trouble for it or losing my license or losing promotions. Pheles already knows about it, too. He told me I should write up the report before Neuhaus decides he wants to."

"Well, it certainly seems he's on your side, then. If he was bothered, he would have called you out on it. I think you should be okay. You were justified in what you did, you were helping a victim."

"Yeah," I sighed out. My eyes slid shut again as Yukio's arm around me held my arms gently. He was warm and soft, and he already had his uniform jacket off and shirt partly unbuttoned.

"I need to finish the report," I declared. I sat up and stood from the couch, off of Yukio. "I need it done by tomorrow morning."

"I have to finish grading, too," the other teenager nodded. "Why don't you head to my dorm, and we can work, and my brother should have dinner nearly finished."

I gave a small smile and a nod. "Sounds good."