Chapter 42

By the time several of the other students had retired to their tents, only a few of us stayed out in front of the fire. I still leaned against Yukio, feeling the heat of the flames against my skin. 

"Akilina, why don't you head off to bed," Yukio said gently to me, "You will need it."

With my eyes still closed, I gave a half-asleep hum, barely able to make myself audible as my brain began shutting down. I could barely move, everything was heavy. 

I could still feel the boy's face in my hair give a soft smile as he shifted, and suddenly I was slowly losing my human-pillow. My eyes opened as I felt Yukio's arms around my torso to stabilize me, and I rubbed my eyes tiredly with a yawn as I let him help me stand up. "Yeah," I mumbled. 

"I saw that Shima is staying with Suguro and Miwa tonight, why don't you share a tent with me and Rin?"

Too tired to argue, and generally not caring, I gave a soft nod. "M'kay."

The other student kept one arm around my torso as we followed an imaginary path across the Magic Circle to Yukio and Rin's yellow-coloured tent. As we opened the cloth door to step inside, Rin was already lying across his sleeping bag, snoring.

Yukio straightened out his own sleeping bag after Shima had taken his to the Kyoto boys' tent, and nodded at me with a soft smile. I crawled into the warm blanket-like cloths with Yukio, the area certainly big enough for two people to fit. I faced the boy, his glasses on top of his backpack behind him, one arm under his head as he looked at me gently.  Yukio put his other pale, warm around around me, and I pressed farther against him, the cloth of his white t-shirt tickling my face as I began falling asleep again.

.

I was woken up in the morning by sunlight seeping through the thin tent cloth and into my eyes. I inhaled deeply, filling my lungs with air as I gazed around. At first, all I saw was white fabric. I leaned back a little and saw Yukio's sleeping face above mine in my hair with my head still by the crook of his neck. His arm was still wrapped around me, gently pulling me forward to him like a giant teddy bear, but our legs were now slightly tangled up together under the blankets.

I exhaled my air with one short puff and pressed back up against the boy, my eyes unfocusing from anything as they closed halfway. 

"Akilina," I heard softly after only a few more minutes. "Minette, wake up. We have to get going."

I inhaled harshly again, straightening out my legs as I stretched. "Yeah."

"Come on, grab your things," I heard a slight chuckle in Yukio's voice. 

I finally woke up completely, almost like a snap. I sat up stretching out my arms as my shoulders popped. Yukio began to sit up, pulling himself off the ground. "Don't wake up Rin or any of the other Pages yet."

"Uhm, okay," I mumbled quietly.

As I left our tent to grab my backpack from where our fire had been last night, I saw nobody else awake. Not even Shura was sleeping by the fire anymore after falling asleep there, and must have gone back to her own tent. 

I silently stepped across the Magic Circle drawing on the ground, careful not to smudge any of the chalk as I picked up my bag. 

"We are leaving the Pages here," I heard softly behind me. "Shura is already waiting at the bus stop."

I turned to Yukio, cocking my head. "Why?" I whispered.

"Sir Pheles asked that I double this drill now as their exam. We are not allowed to interfere with any types of Authorization Exams, but the headmaster has asked that I do supervise and watch over the Exam. However, as only an ExWire, you are not authorized to do so. So Shura will be making sure you get back to the Academy safe. I will walk with you through the trails to the bus stop, however."

I nodded softly, not expecting the ExWire Authorization Exam so soon. "You have all your things?"

I slung my bag over my shoulder and nodded with a gentle smile. "Yeah."

"Okay, let's go then."

.

A/N: I always get mad that most Yukio x OC fics are A: Out of character for Yukio; and B: Cringey. However, this fic has now both of those aspects all over. Oof. I also meant to follow the storyline at least a little, but at least with a fanfic like this that doesn't follow the storyline, you don't necessarily know what to expect lmao