Chapter 29

The next day was Tuesday, and I had to reluctantly force myself out of my warm bed to get ready for class, showering and pulling my uniform on. Once I was ready, I quickly grabbed my bag and made my way out the door.

"Oh!" I nearly ran into Yukio's chest. The boy was almost completely in my doorway outside of the building, waiting on his phone. 

"Oh, I'm sorry," he stepped back a little.

"It's okay," I laughed nervously. I noticed the despondent look on Yukio's face as he began walking side-by-side with me. "Everything okay, Yukio?"

"Yes, everything's okay," he nodded, giving me a small smile. "Sorry, just tired."

I looked up at the boy as we walked over the bridge to get the the school. "What's wrong? Did something happen?"

"No, it's all okay, Akilina, thank you."

"Yukio," I trailed off quietly. "You know you can tell me." There was a small moment of silence before I added "Is this because I didn't call you or anything?"

"No, of course not, I completely understand your reasoning. I would have told you if I had a problem with what you did. I was simply concerned. It's nothing, Akilina, really."

"Are you sure?"

"I am positive, thank you. So did you do the Literature homework? I was hoping you would understand number forty-two, I couldn't make much sense of it," he changed the subject.

"Yes, I did it," I went along with him, hoping he would just tell me what was wrong later. "I didn't really get it either, I think it was just supposed to be however you interpreted the question and the book."

.

Later on after classes passed, I decided to make my way over to the fountain during my lunch to see if Yukio would be there again. Sure enough, he sat on the edge of the fountain reading a book while snacking from a bag of rice crackers. He still had the same stressed and almost upset look on his face. 

"Hey," I greeted softly, sitting up next to the boy and putting my bag on the ground. "You okay?"

Yukio closed his book with a bookmark inside. "Oh, yes, sorry, I didn't yet finish the Literature book."

"It's okay, so what's up?"

"Not much, I have just been trying to make sure I'm caught up with my schoolwork and my grading. How about you?"

"Same thing, pretty much, in exception for the grading," I gave the boy a small smile.

Yukio hesitated for a minute before he asked "So, are you still up to go to dinner or something sometime?"

I smiled and nodded at Yukio. "Yes, of course. Have anything in specific in mind?"

"Well, there's a new Italian restaurant a little ways off campus I heard, Rin told me about it when he said he wanted to take a girl there."

I grinned at his comment. "Did he ever find a girl to take?"

"No, I think he's still working on that part," Yukio chuckled. "But would that sound okay? Possibly this Saturday?"

I nodded. "Yes, of course. That sounds perfect. What time would you like to meet, then?"

"Maybe seven?"

"I like that idea," I nodded. "Thank you."

Yukio only smiled, his face turning a slight shade of pink. His face turned down and went back to his casually stressed face. 

"Yukio, what's wrong, really?"

"It's nothing, Akilina. I've just been thinking a lot about a few things that happened over the week, it is not a big deal."

"Well, what few things happened?" I sat on my knees facing Yukio, tilting my head.

"Nothing," Yukio gave a slightly strained smile at me, shaking his head. "It's been taken care of."

"Has it?"

"Yes, it has, so please don't worry, Minette."

I felt my face heat up to turn pink. Yukio gave me a small smile. "My dad has been to France, he's told me a few things in French he learned," he said.

A smile crept up on my face as a laugh escaped. "Nice."

Yukio's face lit up with a smile. I grinned more and looked down. "I better get going so I'm not late for class," I declared softly. I stood up and slung my backpack over my shoulder, looking up to see Yukio pushing himself up to stand. "What class do you have after lunch?"

"I teach another Pharmaceutics class," Yukio replied, "It's to a class of younger Pages."

I nodded. "I'll talk to you later, then."

"Okay, have a good day," Yukio paused for a second before leaning in to me. His lips just barely brushed my cheek softly, and I felt my face heat up again. I couldn't help but smile as I looked up at him. 

"See you in class."