Chapter 69

I texted Yukio as soon as we returned to the dorms. He wasn't in his building, and he wasn't answering his phone. 

"I'm sure he's fine," Rin shrugged as he turned on a pot of water. "He's Yukio, if something happened, he's good at bouncing back."

That didn't ease my anxiety. I still stared at my phone screen, waiting for a reply to my question asking if he was okay. Rin was in the kitchen, cooking up who-knows-what. 

"I'm actually gonna head back to my own dorm," I announced as I stood. "I've got work to do."

Rin paused what he was doing. "Oh, okay. See you tomorrow. And I'm sure Yukio's fine."

I tried my best to believe Rin as I left the building, my shoes cracking the gravel on the ground. I wanted to believe Yukio was okay, but I had a heavy weight in my stomach. 

I didn't pull out my work when I got inside, I could only stare at it on the coffee table. I couldn't think of doing much at all until I had some kind of update on where the young exorcist was. He had nothing to do with Neuhaus, there was no way he was arrested. Not to mention, he would have called. I was afraid he had gotten hurt, or the Vatican had taken him for questioning. That certainly wasn't a far stretch- the Vatican would have been very suspicious of the son of Satan working closely with other exorcists. 

Yukio did text me back, over half an hour later. 

I'm okay. I'm sorry, today's been very busy. I promise everything is okay, but I won't see you tonight. There's a lot of planning going on for something I can't tell you about yet. 

I frowned. Yukio was safe, I believed that. But that heavy weight was still pulling down my stomach. Something told me that Yukio could tell me about what was happening, but he just didn't want to. 

Even as it became later and darker, I didn't sleep very much. I couldn't shake the feeling that something was wrong. Yukio didn't text or call again, so I just let him be for now. 

When morning did hit, the sun hadn't even risen when Yukio texted. He hadn't slept either.

You'll probably be told by others later, but the director will not be continuing at True Cross. There will be a gathering this morning at 8 to discuss.

I was right, something was definitely going on. At the very least, however, I would be seeing Yukio again, and would be able to talk to him then. All right. Be safe. Love you

Yukio's reply was almost instant. You, too. I love you.

When the sun rose, I still showed up for classes. It was getting cooler outside, and the collar of my jacket whipped against the back of my neck. The wind was trying to blow me farther to the side as I walked. 

Yukio, of course, was right. As I approached the academy building, hundreds of students were gathered in front of the locked doors. There was a sign on the door I couldn't read, but I could guess it was telling students not to enter. There were mumbles and murmurs about the director everywhere.

"Oi! Akilina!" 

I turned my head to see Rin waving me over. He was standing around with the Kyoto trio and Shiemi. 

"You know what's going on?" Ryuji crossed his arms.

"Apparently Mephisto's been sacked," I shrugged. "We're having a meeting about it in like half an hour."

"All of us?" Rin piped up.

I shook my head. "Just registered exorcists. That's what Yukio said, anyways."

"So you've talked to him," Rin sighed. "He ain't texted me back."

"Somethin's going on," I nodded. "I think it's bigger than Neuhaus, but Yukio didn't want to tell me about it. We only texted a little bit, but something's up."

"Tell us more after, if you can," Ryuji requested.

"Of course," I nodded back. "Trust me, I'm just as tired of being kept out of the loop as you guys are. I'll see you after."

I made my way from the group, and tried to fit to the front of the building where I saw a line of exorcists. I showed one my ID card. "Akilina Katai, Lower First Class."

"If you're here for the conference, use your Master Key around the back of the building," the man barely gazed at my card.

My hands hid in my pockets as I quickly shuffled around, trying not to attract everyone's attention on my way towards the back of the academic building. I pulled a bronze key from a ring, and clicked it into the door. I made my way down the wide ceramic hall, following a line of exorcists filing into a classroom. 

Everyone was sitting at the desks facing the front of the room. Many I recognized, some I didn't. I took a seat next to Tsubaki at the front row. We were waiting for a few minutes before a man with thinning grey hair came to the front of the classroom. "All right, everyone," he paused. "So, as many of you know, the cram school- as well as the Japan Branch of the Knights of True Cross- is under entirely new supervision. Directly with the Vatican Headquarters, I might add. And now, a word of introduction from our new Preceptor, appointed this morning by the Vatican."

I watched as a boy in a navy green jacket walked into the room. My eyes widened as Yukio stared straight ahead. "Good morning. My name is Yukio Okumura, and as of today, I have been appointed the new Preceptor of the Japan Branch of the Knights of True Cross."

Tsubaki and I took a quick glance at each other. "Can't suppose you knew about this, Katai?"

I shook my head. "How did he even get that position?"

"He's same rank as me," Tsubaki whispered. "And a student."

"Additionally," Yukio continued, "I have been appointed Paladin. I look forward to meeting with you all."

My eyes narrowed now. How? He couldn't have even told me?

"As of now, we will be putting into place Project Jacob's Ladder," the grey-hair man spoke up again. "Please, return to your posts until further notified."

The exorcists mumbled to each other as they quickly filed out. I stayed, as Yukio still spoke to the man at the front. When he turned back, he gave me that trademark smile. 

"So much for good communication," I commented, arms crossed. "You couldn't have even told me?"

Yukio's shoulders fell a little. "It only happened this morning. Truthfully, I wasn't even told until about an hour ago. The new pope is someone I know personally, though we didn't meet until recently. There are all new supervisory staff, people trusted by the pope himself. I am sorry, I promise I'll be more careful."

I sighed, but I let it go. "And what about this Jacob's Ladder? I've heard of the project, but what are we really doing?"

I didn't know how I felt about Yukio's answer.

"Wiping out the demons. For good."

.

A/N: 2 updates in a day let's get it

Anyway I want a new cover, instead of making it myself, how would y'all feel if I did a cover contest? I'd just put rules and rewards in an author's note in the next chapter, if so