Chapter 70

I was given a key to the True Cross armory, along with instructions to lead the Exwires inside. I still wasn't entirely sure on what Yukio meant by eradicating all demons, but it had to be a good thing, right? This was the entire concept we had trained for, and maybe this would help us get ahead and secure the safety of humankind for years.

But it could also jumpstart a massive war between Gehenna and Assiah. Or hurt a lot of innocents, at the very least.

I sighed as I lead the team of Exwires into the large building, and let them begin taking their pick of industrial weapons off the glassed shelves.

"What are these?" Ryuji stared down the barrel of a rifle.

"Custom Vatican-crafted weapons," I answered. "Each kill will absorb the energy from that demon, making your weapon stronger as you go."

"Like experience points in a video game!" Shima piped up.

"These aren't toys, Shima," I reminded him.

"Of course, but it still gets you in the right mood, huh?"

I could hear Izumo and Shiemi talking to another exorcist behind me about being Tamers as I ignored Shima.

"I know you all are being trusted with these weapons, and asked to assist with Operation Jacob's Ladder," I spoke louder. "But you're still Exwires, with not much experience. Make sure you assist in your missions without any showing off or hurting the exorcists you're with."

"Take one, too, Katai," Tsubaki informed. "You've been assigned to oversee the Exwires and other exorists along with myself at the forest."

I bit down on my back teeth hard and nodded. Once the Exwires were leaned up against the wall to wait, I picked up two pistols from the rack, and attached them to my belt. I helped Tsubaki lead the Exwires out the the vans with a group of exorcists I didn't recognize.

There were black vans outside waiting for us, all guarded by men in uniforms with guns. I was really starting to get a bad feeling about this, like things were going to turn sour. We were the instigators now- and for what? What would we gain, and will it really be worth the losses we're about to experience?

The drive down to the forest was mostly silent, although I could hear the Exwires in my van whispering- chitchatting as if nothing could go wrong. They were just excited to finally get in the field, and it made my stomach turn even more. I wasn't sure if anybody was using critical thinking here, or if everybody was just following orders. I tried to focus on the good things to come from this as I stared out at the moving sky, watching the sun set while we drove past. The vans all parked in a circle, and I watched Tsubaki climb out of the van in front. I followed suit, watching all the exorcists and Exwires gather in the circle barricaded by vehicles.

"Half of you will be on offense," Tsubaki called out. "The other half to stay here on defense. As we cleanse this area, demons will try to slip by and reach the center here to fight back. It is dire that everyone man their post and have each other's backs."

Cleanse. I didn't like the sound of that.

I watched as Tsubaki broke up the Exwires in small groups to build ranks around the forest, then placed me in charge of overseeing the Exwires in the center ranks as a last defense from incoming demons. 

There was very little to do for hours other than burn Coal Tars to a crisp with holy fire, with the occasional hobgoblin or naga slipping through. I instructed Suguro, Rin, and Izumo around me to keep alert and to use their heads. 

Soon, a few bigger demons slipped past the ranks. I was having to pass between fighting them off and helping the wounded. 

"Akilina!" I heard Rin shout.