Graduation

Akira's POV

When i was a little girl, i always dreamed of meeting and knowing my mother. It was sad, being 7 years old and not knowing the woman who birthed me. Living in Honduras in a full house of 7 taught me that you can't ever look back, and you can't ever be ungrateful. I was grateful for my life even though it was partially shit, i never knew my mother nor my father. That shit could either make me or break me. When i was 13, and my grandma told me that my birth father wanted to sponser and fly me to America to live with him 'for a better life', i couldn't believe it. I remembered packing a bag the night before but i ain't have shit to put in it, other than a couple pieces of clothing and my stuffed bear. 

Yo girl came to america with one pair of shoes, now i got too much to count. 

Coming up and living with my dad was great at first; we went out for ice cream every Sunday, he would walk me to school every single day and as soon as 3:30 came around he was right there waiting for me. We'd go shopping and he would buy me everything a little girl could ask for. it was the life. 

But then i turned 14 and shit went bad. 

Flashback

9 years ago

Chicago, ILL 

"Shakira! Mi bebe, hand me my wallet!" I looked up from the TV to see daddy standing at the front door with two tall dark men. He looked anxious and jittery, shit wasn't new to me. I stood up from the couch and snatched his wallet from the coffee table jogging over to them. I handed it to daddy and slowly hid behind him watching the men take the 50 bill that daddy handed to them. They in return gave him a baggy filled with some white substance and daddy took it happily, turning to shake the mans hands. 

"We'll be in touch." One of the men said before they nodded to him and left. Daddy closed the door and turned to me smiling happily. I looked up at him confused and he grabbed me, lifting me up in the air and spinning me around. 

"We're gonna be rich, mi bebe!" He said in his thick ass spanish accent. I laughed even though not knowing what the fuck was happening. He set me down and rubbed his hands together looking around our dirty dark apartment in south side Lamron. 

"So what are we having for dinner tonight? Chinese? Italian? Jamaican?"  He grinned and i shrugged smiling. He opened his wallet and handed me a $100 bill. I looked up at him wide eyed. "Here, take this and go buy us a box of pizza."  He said and i nodded happily and kissed his cheek  before running out of the front door and slamming it behind me.  I ran towards the elevator and pressed the button waiting for it. 

"I wonder what got into him.." I said out loud to myself before looking up as the elevator dinged. I gulped seeing a whole bunch of black guys in there and decided to wait for the other one instead. 

"Wassup princess!" One of them said and the rest of the guys smiled. I looked away and waited for the door to close. Once it closed i blew out a sigh of air and pressed it again waiting for the next elevator. Once it got here i stepped in and waited for it to go down looking around the dirty elevator. I hopped out once it was my stop and ran out of the building, passing by the older guys who would hang out around the projects smoking weed and shit. A few called to me but i ignored them and ran around the corner to the pizza place. In front of it was a whole bunch of guys and i bit my lip nervously. I was a shy ass girl. 

"Aye princess! You come back for me already?" I looked up to see some older looking guy, probably in his later teens. He was dark, with tattoo's underneath both of his eyes and he had a snapback on. He was chillin with some younger guys who watched and laughed along chillin by the front.