Last Day

The entire classroom was drop dead silent. They were staring transfixed at what had happened on the projector screen, frozen to the spot. Some girls at the back were sobbing quietly into their hands.

The lights came on.

"So," Ms Vasinthi said slowly, jolting the class back to attention. "What can you infer from the video?"

"Dragintar was a bloody idiot." a boy student stated.

"No, Ray, that's not accepted." Ms Vasinthi sighed. "Anyone else?"

Lightning and another boy student raised their hands at the same time. Ms Vasinthi always had her favourites, and that was Isaac, so he got the privilege to answer instead. 

"Dragintar, a Light Soul fighter, and the Fire Elemental Master, had a very conflicted life. He had a wife, and a newborn son, who had just recently left him. Since he was very emotional that time, he went to fight Lord Hallela head first in hope to get rid of his pressure. Lord Gonzalu was trying to save him, but was held back from the barrier between the mortal world and Hell. In the end, Dragintar was killed in his incident with Lord Hallela. The video also showed how Lord Hallela was starting to lose his mind, and also his first murder of an innocent man."

"Show off," Lightning mumbled as he grudgingly lowered his hand. The class applauded for Isaac, who was smiling in every direction he can, but careful not to catch Lightning's eye. If only the teacher wasn't watching, he could've reached across to the next table and give Isaac a slap across the face for always stealing his thunder.

"Couldn't have put it in better words." Ms Vasinthi clapped along. The bell outside rang, and the students automatically started packing up.

"Sit back down!" Ms Vasinthi scowled. "I haven't given you your homework yet, and until that you are not allowed to exit this class. Remember, I dismiss you, not the bell. Page 81, question 10 from the textbook. I want the answers on the first day next term. OK, you may go now. Happy Holidays!" 

"Thank you, teacher," the class muttered lazily, and squeezed hurriedly out from class. The faster they got out of the classroom, the better. Lightning realised how much homework he already had. He had a project to do for Geography, homework for Maths, an essay for English and now adding on History to all this. If Earth and Wind had the same amount as his, he was sure his holiday would be cancelled. Life is such a sucker in Year 9. 

"Hey, Johnny," greeted a passing-by friend. 

"Hey," he said, before they disappeared down the stairs, and him turning to the left of the corridor. He wasn't even sure if she heard him. But literally who cares? 

Yaya had just sat down on her seat at the most front row in Geography class with Ying on her left. She had barely sat down when a shout was heard from the back of the class. The two girls angrily snapped around, to see that it was only Tom. 

"What is it that you want, Tom?" Ying asked irritably.

"Do you know how to do question 10 for History?" he yelled.

"You yell one more time and I'm reporting you." Yaya snapped, but Tom seemed oblivious to her remark. He had all eyes only for Ying.

Ying bit her lip. She didn't especially like sharing her answers. "Find someone else."

"The others haven't even done it yet." Tom smiled. "I know for sure you got the answers-"

Ying had no choice but to tell, but she put it in a complicated way so he wouldn't be able to copy from word to word. "Something to do with Dragintar's wife and son, how they ran away, and also how he forgotten his mortal life, and gotten slightly cuckoo and got a slap in the face from the Lord of Hell."

"Thanks, Amelia." Tom said, giving a thumbs up.

Ying sighed. "It's sick that everyone wants my answers."

"And it's also sick that they keep ignoring me now." Yaya added.

Just then, a screaming girl ran past Yaya, who seems to be chased by her other friend.

"Give. Me. Back. My. PENCIL BOX!!" her friend screeched.

The girl with brown, short hair laughed hysterically. "Come and get it if you want it!"

Her friend had just taken another step when Yaya stepped in between them with a booming step.

"No running and yelling in the class!" Yaya shouted in her threatening voice. The entire class fell silent at once.

"She has my pencil box!" Maria, the one that has been chasing the other cried, trying to reason with Yaya.

Yaya turned fiercely to the short-haired girl. "Return her pencil box."

The short-haired girl puffed stubbornly at Yaya, crossing her arms and not looking at her.

"Now." Yaya warned dangerously.

Grumbling and probably cursing under her breath, the short-haired girl threw the pencil back to Maria, who reclaimed it happily.

"Thank you, Sophia," she said, her eyes sparkling gratefully.

"Welcome," Yaya replied kindly, which turned unnervingly back to her threatening voice once again. "If I see you taking other people's stuff again, Siti, you're going to be in big trouble!"

"Yeah right." She rolled her eyes obviously so to make sure Yaya sees it, then strolled away back to her seat.

Yaya sighed, just as the door swung open and the big-bellied and dark-skinned teacher walked in.

There was a scramble as everyone ran back to their seats and stood behind their chairs in attention.

"Good morning, class," Mr Miva said, placing his Macbook down at his table, which was allocated at the top right corner of the class.

"Good morning, Mr Miva." the students chanted.

"Sit. Now, we'll continue with our fun activity on concluding the evolution of Earth's moving plates. Before we start, what was the fun fact I gave you yesterday?"

"Is it that the Ring of Fire surrounds the Pacific plate?" Adam asked excitedly.

"Raise your hand before asking, Adam." Mr Miva drawled, though no one had their hands raised that time. "But no. That wasn't the answer I wanted. Anyone else?"

Ying's hand shot into the air.

"Yes, Ying?" he said in a less more drawling voice. Though he didn't mention it, or any other teacher mention it, everyone had the feeling that Ying was every teacher's favourite student. If not Ying, it would be Yaya. 

"Dragintar, a legendary Light Soul fighter, had once lived by Spinnet Highlands."

"Read my mind in every single word." Mr Miva nodded, then turned to the class. "Spinnet Highlands, I'm sure you have heard off. It's not far from where we are now, about thirty kilometres away I think. There'll be a school trip to there after the holidays, so...ask your parents about it. Anyways, back to the topic-"

"School trip, huh?" Maria was caught whispering to her seat mate.