6. I didn't have a choice

Thanks to Thyra's feeding. The little girl is now full and asleep. I also got some milk from her for the little girl that I have in my arms. We are on the way home to Loki. I wonder what kind of reaction I will get from her.

It's dark now, which means she won't be happy when I get home. I know if I tell her about what happened in town today she will be even more worried. For all I know I might not even be allowed to get out the front door.

No, she won't, but I like how proactive she is. It means that she is scared of losing me and that I mean a lot to her. Just like she means a lot to me.

I stumble through the bushes and branches until I can see our house with lights inside. Walking next to the river, I reach my home. The sound of footsteps comes to my ears as I find my way inside.

"Loki?" I call my love's name.

"Where have you been?" She comes towards me, not sure if she is either worried or angry, maybe both. Then her gaze falls down to my arms.

"What?" She could barely say.

"I didn't have a choice." I tell her, she watched me shocked, but then shake her head to get herself back together.

"What do you mean you didn't have a choice?" Loki almost shouts as she walks pass me to the door to peek outside. Then she stares out the windows all around the house.

"What are you doing?" I ask confused by her behavior.

"Making sure no one has been following you!" She raises her voice in anger, while looking at me. The little girl in my arms starts to cry again and I lift her up to my shoulder to shake her to be quiet again.

"Loki!" I shout her name, which gives me her attention, finally.

"I found her in the forest next to the river all alone. There was no one around. I couldn't just leave her." I tell her, but she just shakes her head.

"What if there was a reason she was lying there?" Her words leaves me speechless as I look down at the little crying baby in my arms.

"What if it was a setup, a trap? Did that ever occurred to you?" She wonders furiously. I haven't seen her this angry before and it scares me a little.

"There is so much going around here and you just decided to bring this baby you found on the way home?" Loki is shaking with rage, but then she rubs her forehead with her hand with a big sigh.

"You need to lay her back where you found her." She is calmer now, but I can't believe what I am hearing.

"No, I can't do that. For all we know she was abandoned." I say, but Loki rolls her eyes.

"I'm not willing to lose you for this baby." She stares at me instantly.

"No, I am not going to leave her out in the forest." I tell her, taking the baby with into the bedroom. I lay her down in our bed. She seems okay now, tired, but okay.

"Just sleep little girl." I smile, looking at her. She is very cute and beautiful.

I change into some clean, but also comfortable clothes. Now the little one had closed her eyes and drifted to sleep. I grab the backpack and take out the eggs and the milk for the baby. I think she got enough at Thyra's. Maybe that is why she is sleeping like a rock right now.

Right now I am just going to keep a distance from Loki. She is upset and so am I, which would just make it worse if I went back out there to talk to her. We can wait until tomorrow, unless she comes in here to talk about it, but I doubt it.

I'm just going to lay here next to the little girl, who still doesn't have a name. She needs one though.

"What should we name you?" I say, stroking her cheek. It's been a while since last time I was close to something so small. Last time was Thyra's son, Thomas, but before that so long ago.

"What about Atla?" I ask the little girl, but of course, she won't answer.

"After the goddess of water? Since I found you next to the river." I smile as I move closer to the baby girl. With my face right next to her.

"Goodnight, Atla." Is the last thing I say, before closing my eyes.