14. It's the last place I want to be

I open my eyes by the sound of a stick breaking and my gaze ends up on Thor. He noticed that the noise he made woke me up. I push myself up to sit and take in everything that is around me.

The weather, which is the early morning sun and mist that is trying to fade away on the mountains. Atla is laying wrapped deep and warm in her blanket fully awake while talking with herself.

I guess trusting Thor was the right choice. Trusting someone today is not easy and it's the hardest part to find in a human today. It seems like I was lucky with Thor. 

"How are you?" He asks as he sits down on the ground in front of me.

"I'm good," I tell him, physically yes, mentally no. I feel fully rested but still broken. All I have to keep me sane is Atla. But also that I know Loki would never have given up, never accepted defeat. That is how I know her. She is strong and she never gives up no matter what. 

"Did you sleep well?" Thor wonders and I nod as I get on my feet. 

"Yes, I did. Thank you." I smile lightly to him and take Atla into my arms. The big grin that comes on her face makes me feel a bit of happiness. I have noticed a few times that when I pick her up she seems glad. It's good to know that.  

"Where are you going now?" He questions me, but still, I am not sure about the answer myself. I do not want to go back to the city, where I watched many of my friends die. 

But what other option do I have? I should do what is right and safe, even though it's going to be emotional. If just put it aside and I might manage to go through with it.

"I'm going to Brynhild," I tell him and look down at Atla. Her smile makes me calm down.

"You don't seem happy about it." He says and I nod lightly to it.

"It's the last place I want to be." 

"Then why go there?" He wonders.

"Because, right now it's the safest place I can go, we can go." I sigh as I lay Atla on the ground so I can make myself ready to go. We need to move fast so they won't track us down before we can reach the city. We can be safe there.

"Okay," Thor says as he stands up.

"I will keep going on my journey and you go on yours." He takes his things and gives me a small smile.

"I hope I see you again, some time." He tells me and we say our goodbyes as we walk our separate ways. I do also hope I will see Thor again. He is kind, strong and reliable. It's not easy to find a friend like that. 

 I find my way through bushes and trees to reach my destination with Atla. It's a long way to go, but at least we will be safe there. To be a little honest even though I hate that place I miss the people I met, Arkyn and Kelby. But I miss Jacob, who stayed behind with them. He was a good warrior, guard, but also a reliable friend.  

I hope they are all alright. We lost a few on the way, Finn and Fenris. A friend Jacob has never had before. Finn meant a lot to him and I could clearly see that on Jacob when he died. 

He broke compliantly, but I believe it was a right call to stay behind. Brynhild might be the right place for his set of skills, but also for socializing. 

They are trying to rebuild the city and with so much work it will keep his mind occupied. It's what he needs and I want my friend to be okay. Happy would be better, but for now okay is good.