16. How are you alive?

"Freya?" The woman says my name just the way my mother did when I was just a child. How is this possible? For so many years I thought she was dead, but she was here all along? 

"How are you alive?" She asks walking down from the thorn, putting her warm, soft hands on my cheeks. Her blue eyes wide and mouth slightly open. 

"How are you alive?" I question back, I wish I could touch her to prove it's actually my mother who is standing in front of me, but my hands are tied.

"Is dad?" I wonder, looking around to see if there is a face from my past around here, but no one else but my mom is familiar. She is staring at me with trembling lips, which answers my question.

"I will explain everything to you later, but first can someone let my daughter lose?" She says looking at the man who brought me in here. He takes out a knife to cut off the rope of my hands. My wrists look so red and feel sore.

My mother rushes forward to lay her arms around me. Her warmth and her comfort, I haven't felt that in so many years. I have so many questions for her, but for now, I am just going to enjoy the warmth of a mother that I haven't had since I was a kid. 

"Are you hungry?" She wonders as she moves back to look at me.

"Yes, it's been a little while since I last ate, but," I look over to the guy who is holding Atla in his arms. 

"Is she yours?" My mother asks, but I hesitate so answer. I don't know what to say. Everyone is looking for this baby, but I don't know if my mother is. Atla is not safe, but if I do tell my mother she is biological mine, then she would expect the baby to have a father. 

Which she doesn't, she has two mothers. Problem is that the other one is most likely in Valhalla with the Gods. I miss her, so much. I wish she was here with me. 

"No, I found her." Is all I say and my mother nods.

"Well, she must be hungry too. What is her name?" She wonders.

"Atla," I answer and she watches me with widened eyes. 

"Okay, we will take care of Atla, don't worry." My mother tells me and the man holding the little girls nods to my mother and walks away. My instincts want me to follow and take her back, but I guess I just have to trust them. 

"Join us for food." She tells me wrapping my arm around min, making me walk along with her to another room, with a big dinner table. 

"Sit down and the food will be served in a moment." My mother smiles to me and I do as she says. Then I watch her disappear back into the other room where her throne is. I sit here in silence for a little while, before I jump in my seat of man and woman coming in the door with thousands of dishes to place on the table. Chicken, pork, eggs and so much more. 

Just a few seconds later my mother comes back inside with a few children. They all sit down around the table. Then the king, who is most likely my mother's husband comes inside with the man who put a rope around my hands. 

I observe them, they all sit with their mouth closed, trying to avoid to stare at me, but I managed to catch them now and then.

"Everyone this is Freya," My mother informs all of them and they all look surprised. 

"She is my first daughter, the one I thought I had lost many years ago." She smiles at me, seeming happy. 

"Freya, this is my husband, Einar." He smiles at me kindly. Einar seems nice enough. A big, tall man, with dark, short hair, almost black as night. His beard so long it's almost reaching down to his chest. He doesn't remind me of my father, which might be one of the reasons my mother wanted him.

"It's nice to met you." He says, his voice is deep and gravelly, which suits him very well.

"You have met his son, Ivar, She points at the man who is sitting next to Einar. He was the one who wrapped a rope around my wrists, he doesn't seem all too young, around my age perhaps.

Now I can see his face. His hair is dark as his father, but it's longer. Resting on his strong shoulders. In a way he reminds me of Jacob, but when he was at his worst. Ivar seems very uptight and stiff as if he is always on guard. He looks like a person who would protect his family at all costs, but in a way, it might be a little too much. 

"This is our oldest daughter, Froya," I look at my mother after she said her name. I guess she named her after me. Froya has a light, straight brown hair. Her eyes are brown as well just like her father's. Compered to her stepbrother she seems a bit calmer and nicer. A least the smile she is giving me, tells me that. She seems younger maybe fourteen. 

"There is Bjorn." The boy has the same hair colour as me and my mother, very light blond. His eyes are blue just like our mother. He has more of mom's features than his father. He is like a boy version of me, but a lot younger, I believe he has to be around ten years old. 

"Then there is Iona, the youngest one. She is eight." The little girl smiles to me brightly, very proud, but shy at the same time. Just like her brother Bjorn, she has light hair and blue eyes, but hers are clear. Just like mine. 

"Let's eat first and we talk after?" My mother says and I just nod to her words.