8. All rivers lead to the ocean

It's been a few days now since the little one moved in here and Loki still struggles with it. She barely even looks at her. I don't get her issue. It's just a baby. She is the cutest thing I have ever seen.

"She is not going to bite you, you know," I tell Loki, who watches me as if I had slapped her face.

"What?" She asks and I roll my eyes.

"Atla, she is not going to bite you. She doesn't even have teeth yet." I say, she seems so irritated by my teasing now that she gets out of the couch to stand in front of the window.

"She is only a baby, Loki. She can't do much harm." I tell her and she turns to me with a death glare, which almost makes me laugh. Then the looks out the window again.

"It's not the baby; I am scared of, Freya." Loki sighs.

"It's where she comes from that scares me." Her gaze falls down on Atla, who is laying on the floor, moving her arms and legs in the air.

"All rivers lead to the ocean, Frey. We might face something bigger than we have ever seen and as you know, we have seen a lot." The look on her face is hard, full of anger. Everything that had happened to her, to us has made her paranoid. I don't blame her and she is not alone.

"She is just a baby, Loki..."
I know that!" She shouts now.

"But it's not about the baby. It's about where she comes from and from whom." Loki is full of anger. I can see it in her eyes. It's not often she is angry, but when she is her eyes are full of fire, so much it could burn down a village.

"This place is not how it was like before; when we came here it was quiet. I see more and more people wandering around the forest. I don't recognize the armor they are wearing." She takes a deep breathe.

"You know each place has their own kind of armor, different colors and animal skin," Loki is so frustrated. Her movement and the way she looks at me, exposes it.

"I have seen every one of them, but not these. These I don't know." She doesn't just sound upset, but scared. My Loki is rarely frightened. I know I should listen to her, especially when she is afraid.

But I'm far too deep in Atla to give her away. I have fallen for those small hands and feet. She has stolen a piece of my heart. I can't leave her. She is too precious to me.

"I can't give her away, Loki." I tell her, which makes her sigh in sadness.

"I know." She looks at me, but then at Atla.

"And I know if you have put your mind into it, it's hard to change it. It's not possible." Loki sounds a bit annoyed, but there is a small light in her eyes.

I know Loki, better than anyone else in this world. She might be stubborn, hardheaded and cold. But that is what makes her amazing.

If it wasn't all for all of that we wouldn't be here today. She is beautiful in every way, but yes, sometimes she can be difficult to handle.

I fell in love with her and I can't stop falling. Even if we disagree sometimes and argue. It wouldn't make me stop loving her. How can something so little destroy something so small?

"Just promise me that you are careful." She asks of me.

"Yes, of course." I smile to her lightly as I get up on my feet on the way to wrap my arms around her back to hold her. It just feels so warm and comfortable to have her in my arms and be in her arms.

"We have been through a lot and I don't think there is anything that can stop us now." I tell her, which earns me a little grin on her beautiful face.

"True, but still." She warns me and I roll my eyes.

"Yeah, I know."

"I love you, you know, and I don't want you to get hurt." Loki stares right into my eyes, with her forest eyes. The ones I fell for the most, but also her kind heart.

"I know, and I love you too."