22. What happened to you?

Einar and I lay Loki down on my bed, careful not to hurt her. 

"Thank you," I tell him and he just gives me a smile.

"I will send a doctor to look at her." He says and I nod thankfully to him. 

"Why are you so kind to me?" I ask, very confused. A stranger is nicer to me than my own mother. 

"I lost someone I loved as well, just like your mother. But it seems like it gave her hate. I got more empathy." Is the last thing he says before he leaves the bedroom.

The woman who took care of Atla, while I was gone went out the door as soon we brought Loki inside.

I checked on Atla and she was deep in sleep. Loki is laying in the bed with her eyes closed. I can only imagine how exhausted she is.

"Loki?" I whisper lightly as I sit down in bed next to her. She only looks at me as an answer, her eyes unsteady and tired. 

"Someone will come and help you." I tell her, moving my hand carefully over her cheek. 

"I thought you were dead." I say, feeling the need to cry.

"I thought that too when I saw you." She tries to reach for my face to touch it, I lean into it. Feeling her skin on mine, which I believed I would never have again. 

I turn to the sound of the door opening and a woman comes inside with a bag. I think she might be the doctor. 

"I'm here to check the patient." She says, seeming not happy about it at all. Behind her comes Ivar, standing in front of the door with his hands folded. 

The look on Loki's face goes from soft and peaceful to anger right away. She tries to get up, but I keep her down by holding her shoulder. 

"It's okay." I whisper to her. 

"Why are you here?" I asked getting out of the bed to let the woman have more space to look at Loki. 

"She wanted me to go with her, believe me, I wouldn't be here if not." He crosses his arms over his chest, making himself look bigger and stronger. But he doesn't fool me.

"What do you have against, Loki?" I question, which makes him roll his eyes at me. 

"I have heard stories." He answers.

"What stories?" I question.

"A lot of them." Ivar says, which doesn't make it any better. 

"Did you hear about the one when I fought a bear," Loki laughs to herself. 

"That was a good one." She is smiling proudly now. Even when she is hurt she still has her ironic sense of humor. 

"Or, or maybe about the one where I was stabbed in the heart and I walked it off." She keeps laughing, which makes me worried. I look at her for a little while, seeing something is not right.

"What is wrong with her?" I ask the woman. 

"I drugged her, so she won't feel that much pain." She says and I nod. At least she won't be in agony.  Loki looks up in the air, seeming very confused and gone, but then a tear run down her cheek.

"Loki?" I call out her name, worried about her. 

"I'm fine." She just says, using her sleeve to dry the tear away,

"I need you to go out." The doctor tells Ivar, who looks at her confused but worried as well. 

"It's fine." She says. Ivar nods, stepping out the door and close it behind him. The woman pulls out a knife, making me react by grabbing her hand.

"I am not going to hurt her, I need to cut her clothes up. She is very damaged and I need to make sure there doesn't go anything unnoticed." She looks me deeply into my eyes with her brown. 

"Okay." I nod and let her hand go. I watch her cutting up Loki's shirt from top to bottom. She removes the shirt, exposing Loki's chest and stomach. 

I feel myself tremble and cry by the sight of her. My hand goes over my face to hide and I turn around to Atla, watching her. But even that doesn't take the view out of my mind.
"You might want to take the baby out of here." I look at the doctor, I still don't even know her name. 

"Why?" I question. 

"Because this is going to hurt." She pulls out certain things out of her bag. I lift up the sleeping girl and step over to the door and open it. Ivar stands there guarding.

"I-I need you to take her." I say holding Atla out to him. I don't trust him, but I know he won't hurt her.  He looks at me confused.

"Take her, please!" I almost shouted as it felt like a storm of tears fell down my face. He doesn't hesitate now, taking her into his arms. 

I walk back into the bedroom, seeing the doctor preparing everything. Loki is laying on the bed staring at the roof as if she knows what is coming. She knows this is going to be painful. 

"First I need to clean the wounds and then stitch them together." She says, but I keep looking at Loki's wounded skin. It's ripped and bloodied, which makes me sick to my stomach. 

"It's a lot I know, makes me imagine how the rest of her looks like." My eyes widen while looking at the doctor. I didn't think that far yet. 

"What happened to you." I whisper to myself, with a tear falling down my cheek and down to my chin.