41. I Am Not Her Mother

The past week has been amazing. Loki and I spent more time with each other than we have ever done. We stayed in the bedroom most of the time, either watching movies or taking each other's clothes off. 

I am starting to like movies on television; they are quite fascinating, especially those based on true stories. Kelby brought us a few, saying we haven't lived if we haven't seen these. 

Loki looked so happy; I can't remember the last time I have seen her enjoy herself as she has this week. Just her and I spending time, no one else. Diana is still testing atla, and my family doesn't mind having her. 

A knock on the door makes both of us jump in bed. 

"A second!" I shout as we both roll out of bed, looking around for our clothes. When we are done, I rush forward to the door and open it.

"Terry, hi" I smile and let him into our messy bedroom, which by the look on his face, noticed it. 

"Starting to get comfortable, I see." He chuckles. 

"Yes," I say, cheeks glowing with heat. 

"Is there something wrong?" Loki asks. 

"No, everything is fine, but I came here to tell you that we are ready to go on our mission now." He tells her, and she nods.

"Okay, I'll get myself ready." She tells him.

"Good, see you in a moment," He smiles before leaving the room. 

"Don't go, Loki," I tell her as she is putting her gear on.

"I have to, and I will be fine, okay." She smiles as she comes towards me, holding my face in her hands, and kiss my forehead. 

"When I come back, we can have some more fun." She says, looking back at the bed, and I push her away from me.

"You are so funny," I say, rolling my eyes, but I can't hide the little smile on my face.

"Just come back, okay, safe, and sound." I lay my arms over her shoulders, starring into her mesmerizing eyes. 

"Of course, I will." She whispers and holds me close to her. 

"I love you." She smiles at me. No matter how many times she tells me that, it still makes my heart beat harder.

"I love you too, Loki." I pull her in for a hug, holding her tight, hoping she will change her mind, but I know her too well to know she won't.

***

It's been a few hours since Loki, and the others left to get the food supplies back. I have been lying in bed waiting but found it boring to be alone. A lady walking my way further down the hallway seems worried and stressed out.

"Are you okay?" I ask. She stops in her tracks and looks at me. 

"Yes, I'm okay. I'm Diana." She reaches out her hand, and all her papers fall onto the floor.

"I'm Freya," I say, bending down to pick everything up.

"Oh, you are Freya, Atla's mother." She says as I give her the papers. 

"I am not her mother," I responded sadly; I wish I were, though. It might have made things a lot easier.

"Loki is the mother?" She asks, confused, pushing the glasses back on her nose.  

"No, I found her in the woods," I tell her, and she seems even more baffled.

"Okay, follow me," Diana says, and I follow the white-dressed woman. We walk through the hallway until we reach the elevator. 

"Can you press the button, please?" She asks nicely, and I do so. 

"Thank you." After the following second, the door opens. 

"Can you press minus 1?" And like last time, I push the button. It's strange all of this technology, yet I find it helpful and entertaining. 

"Can you tell me more about Atla?" She questions, and I do, from the very beginning when I found her next to the river all alone, crying. That certain people are after her for a reason, I do not know. Hopefully, Diana will find the answers for us. 

"How is she?" I ask, just as the door opens.

"Follow me." She says, and I go into a very open room, many machines and screens everywhere on the walls. The room is so white and clean. 

"Do you know who might be the parents of Atla?" She wonders as she puts her papers on one of the desks and sits down in front of a computer. 

"No, I don't; why do you ask?" I question her.

"I just need to make a profile." She tells me, and I watch her completely lost. 

"A profile is where all her information is collected. Where I can go back to look at if I need some information or to add." She explains to me.

"Makes sense." I shrugged. 

"You guys really do not have any knowledge of this, do you?" She chuckles and keeps working on her computer.

"No, not really, but I know where to stab my sword to be able to take a life," I explain, and she looks at me with disgust, which is funny. 

"Good one." She pointed at me.

"We can't all be good at the same thing; if not, this world would not be able to function," She said, and I nodded in agreement. 

"So you and Loki are Atla's adoptive parents." She writes into the profile. 

"I guess," I say, and she turned to me in her chair.

"I have finished all testing on Atla." Her words make my heart speed up in worry. 

"She is fine," Diana lay her hand on my arm, seeming to see my concern.

"I mean, she is better than fine actually, but," Oh no.

"I do have a huge concern," She seems worried now, which makes me swallow the big lump in my throat. 

"Do you want to talk about it now, or do you wish to wait on your wife." She wondered, and the word wife hit me. Loki is my wife; she is my wife. The thought makes me smile. 

"I think it's best to wait," I say, and the elevator opens up behind me. 

"Freya!" I turn to Kelby in a hurry.

"What happened?" I ask, seeing her clothes and hands full of blood, and she is breathing rapidly. 

"It's Loki."