12. Is she yours?

It's been a couple of days now. My legs are as heavy as the mountains and every inch I move feels like my muscles are being ripped out of my skin. It's so painful. Carrying my own weight is hard enough, but having a baby mixed into it makes it harder.

I can't keep going, I need to rest. This time, not just a few minutes or a few hours. My body will just keep getting worse if I don't stop for a while. A whole day of rest seems to be good right now.

The problem is that it's a huge risk, but how am I to protect Atla if I can't even move? I can't save her life if I can't fight. She deserves so much better.

I stop in my tracks to get my breath back and to look for shelter, but then I fall down to my knees by the sound of branches breaking. I take my sword out carefully and quietly. Hearing the sound of footsteps coming closer and closer to us.

I get on my feet again but remain at the same height I was in. But now I'm ready to attack. I try to look through the bushes and trees. To my surprise, it was just a deer. I can use it's meet for food. Too bad, I left the bow and arrow at home.

The frustration takes over, but I push it away. I need to be creative. I take off my backpack and see if I put my knife in there. Usually, I never go without it, but I was in such a hurry that day to leave. I breathe out relived when I find it. It feels so right in my hand.

I lay the baby carefully with the blanket around her on the soft grass. I give her a small promising smile before I move as quietly as I can towards the deer. There is only one chance. One big noise and I will lose it.

It's a big and beautiful deer. Too bad I am going to take that all away if I get it. He is so concentrated with eating that he hasn't seen or heard me yet. That is a good sign.

The closer I get, the slower I move. I can't make a sound. It will get scared and run. Right now, I'm just a meter away. I take a step, which makes him raise his head. I need to act now or I will lose it.

I jump out from the bushes and put my knife in its throat and wrap the other arm around his neck to keep him still. He fights the knife and my arm, but it's to hurt. It keeps trying to get loose for another few moments until he realizes that this is his fate.

The deer falls down on the ground slowly, lying there quietly and motionless. He has given in to the pain and the darkness.

"I'm so sorry," I tell him before he closes his eyes. His soul falling away, gone forever. I take my knife out of him and dry it clean from its blood. It's important to keep your gear clean, to respect it. Because they are the tools that keep you alive.

I start pulling the deer after me, but it's so heavy and my body is already aching. I try the best I can take it back to where I laid Atla.

I jump in my tracks as I see a huge man with short brown hair and a thick beard. Never have I ever seen a man this tall and strong before. If I fight him, I will die, not even knowing it until after.

"Is she yours?" He asks, with a deep, strong voice holding the baby in his arms. I look at him, paralyzed not knowing what to say or do. All I know is that I am doomed.