18. She doesn't have one!

The heat of the sun feels nice on my skin. The birds are singing so loud up in the trees. White, pink and purple flowers are blooming on the ground, giving nature more colour.

Children are running around in t-shirts, playing catch, and hide and seek while mothers and fathers are laying out meats, clothing, basically anything they could sell or trade.

This is how a day in this village looks like. They are all preparing for the day, making sure everything is on place and ready.

"Good morning." I jump of Ivar's voice as he comes beside me. He is standing with hands behind his back like he is on guard, and his dark hair shines in the bright sun, just like the sliver on his armour.

"Morning," I say, staring back down at the people in this village. It's weird, but looking at them makes me miss the kingdom I had. The smiles they shared and the laughter, but also pain and sorrow. It made you feel like you were part of something, and that you belonged somewhere.

"It's a beautiful day today, isn't it?" He asks, and I nod as I look down at Atla who yawns. She is laying close and safe against my chest. My mother asked me if I wanted someone to take care of her, but I refused.

I want Atla close to me. Erika might be my mother but doesn't mean I trust her, and I don't trust anyone here. I haven't seen her for years, and things change through time. Even if you like it or not, I am not going to fail Atla like I failed Loki.

"Who is the father of the child?" Ivar asks, which takes my attention away from the little girl. I watch him with annoyance before I start walking forward. That was rude, but still, he follows after me.

"You didn't answer my question." He frowns.

"She doesn't have one," I say with a huff, keeping my eyes on everything else, except him. I don't feel like talking or being around anyone here.

"How can she not have one, I mean it's not possible..."

"She doesn't have one!" I raise my voice. He stops in his tracks and closes his mouth, finally.

"I'm sorry." He says as I keep on moving through the market, observing what people have in their store. There is a lot of meat, but mostly fish, which means we are not far from a river. There is a lot of clothes too, and I know Atla needs something.

I search through every single one of them and find something beautiful for her, and I think it will fit her. Unfortunately, I don't have anything to trade or any coins to pay the woman. I lay it back on place. I wanted it, the colour of it reminded me of Loki's forest eyes.

"I'll take it." Ivar surprises me, taking the clothing in his hand and give the woman some coins. She gratefully takes it, and Ivar hand's me the green clothing.

"Take it." He says, I hesitate for a second, but then accept it.

"Thank you," I tell him, and he gives me a small smile, which bothers me. Because now he thinks he has gotten a step closer towards opening me up. I'm not stupid, and I know how it works.

I have seen my fair share of men trying too hard to get the girl. I watched my brother Magnus make a fool of himself many times, but the girls didn't notice. They were to blind to see him as a prince, a royal then anything else.

I found my one in a million, and I lost her. As if someone ripped her out of the pages of the story I am in. I gave her every piece of me, so no wonder it's all missing. You can't replace something like that.

"You're welcome." He tells me, resting his hands on his lower back again.

"You want me to show you around?" Ivar asks, and I nod. Getting a map in my head of this place is vital in case something would happen. If those who are looking for Atla come here, I need an escape route in my head.

"Sure," I answer, pretending I don't want to.

"Okay." He says, and I follow his lead around the village.