9. Where does she come from?

I woke up to a nightmare this morning. Atla was crying like a monster, and it was unbearable. Loki was annoyed, and I could see the forest fire in her eyes. She was so mad, which made it a lot worse for me.

I was already stressed out about Atla, and then I had Loki being frustrated as well. At first, I thought she needed to be changed, but it wasn't that. Then I feed her, which made her calm down, but then I realized she was hungrier when I got empty.

It was horrible; she cried the whole way over Thyra. I was terrified someone would hear her, but luckily no one showed up or attacked. I have never been more stressed or freaked out like that before. Babies know how to make you exhausted.

Right now I am sitting on Thyra's couch watching Atla being fed. I can barely keep my eyes open.

"I think I need a lot more than I got last time," I tell her and Thyra nods.

"Yes, defiantly." She seems surprised.

"What?" I ask, worried, and confused.

"She eats more than my little boy," Thyra says which makes me more concerned.

"What?" I wonder, feeling my heart race as I sit straight up in my seat.

"She feeds like twice more than my Thomas." She is staring at me, a little scared even.

"Where does she come from?" The older woman asks me.

"I don't know, as I told you I found her in the woods, all alone," I repeat myself.

"I don't think I want to know where she comes from," Thyra says as she hands over a sleeping Atla to my arms.

"Why?" I wonder, looking down at the adorable face. Eyes closed and mouth locked.

"Well, when you brought her here I thought maybe she was starving, cause you found her out in the forest. But as you said you feed her this morning, and she ate like she hasn't eaten before right now." I look at Thyra for an answer to what she is meaning.

I thought babies ate a lot, but I guess maybe there is a difference between some of them. It sounds strange, though. I haven't heard about if from my village or other tribes, but then again we didn't have a good connection with most of them.

"What is it that you are trying to tell me here?" I ask baffled about it all.

"This baby is no good." She says.

"Wait; what?" I burst out surprised. This baby, my Atla, is no good. Is she broken? Is that what she means?

"If I were you I would put her back where you found her." She warns me, frighten.

"Why?" I ask, and she stands up.

"If you didn't mind, I would be glad if you left." She says, and I nod, confused.

"Yes, of course, but I would like to know why you think I should put her back?" I ask as I get up on my feet with Atla.

"Because." She says, which makes me annoyed.

"Thyra, I need you to tell me," I tell her, and she noticed the anger in my voice.

"I don't think this girl is as adorable as you think she is." It is the last thing she says as she pushes me out the door and locks it.

I am standing outside in the cold with silence as my company. Atla is in a deep sleep, which I am grateful for.

My feet start moving in the direction of home, with thoughts of Thyra's last words to me. Why does she think that? Atla is just a baby who has only a big appetite. I hope.

Loki has been trying to tell me to put her back and now Thyra as well. I don't have a good feeling now, but it doesn't mean I am going to.

If I do, then what would happen to her? Will, she just lay there and starve to death. What if those who look for her find her and wish to kill her? I can't live with that. That is too much to bear, and I have already enough on my shoulders.

Too many people I have loved and cared for is dead. I am not going to let this one as well. There is no way I am going to fail a second time.

I keep moving through the trees, and I see the sun is about to set. It's beautiful, but I still have a distance to go. Not too far, hopefully.

The cold is starting to go through my clothes, but still, Atla is nice and warm. I stop in my tracks after I heard some bushes a few feet away move.

I bend down to hide a little, as I look around, but it's all quiet now. It might have been a deer who heard me and ran away. I wait for a few moments until I start going again. If I stand too long, it will be dark and cold. I need to hurry back home before night comes.

I struggle through the thick trees and bushes on the way home. Not just that the ground is full of mud, making my feet feel heavier than they are. Don't get me wrong, and I love this place, I love nature. It's just that sometimes nature doesn't love you back.

I stop once again and bend down faster this time. The noise is much louder this time. It sounds like someone is running. I try to hide as well as possible, and the closer the sound comes, the harder my heartbeats.

"Run!" I stand up faster than a heartbeat as I just heard Loki shouting. She is standing a couple of meters behind me with her bow and arrow in her hands. Her face and clothes are full of mud.

"Freya, run!" She yells again, and I do it automatically as I see someone coming behind her. I don't want to run. I want to fight with her, but what choice do I have when I have Atla in my arms. I run faster than I have ever done in my life.

I just left the love of my life to die.