III.

I sighed as I looked out the window over the square, wishing things weren't the way things were.

   "What is wrong, my love?" Cersei asked, shutting the door behind her.

   "Nothing." I replied softly, turning away from the window.

   "It is something, or else you would not be sighing like that." She put her hand on my shoulder, as I was sitting down, and kissed the top of my head.

   "I'm worried about my brother. He may be a traitor, and he may have been an annoying little twat as we were growing up, but love, there is a war. Right outside our windows, in our streets... I can see the blood running down the alley in Flea Bottom instead of piss."

   "Do you know what they call him?" She asked, placing both hands on my shoulders and stroking them lovingly.

   "No." I responded. "I don't read the ravens."

   "The King in the North." She whispered, placing a kiss to my ear. "You needn't worry, love. I know that the gods will protect your brother if he is just."

   I turn to look at her. "My father was just."

   "I tried to save him, I really did. I tried to ask my son for mercy for him. You saw." She leans down to where she is inches from my face.

   "I saw." I replied. "But it didn't make it hurt any less."