XXXIV.

The next chapter will be about the wedding😶

   When I awoke the next morning, my chest was heavy. Cersei and I had sat in comfortable silence (occasionally speaking,) my fingers playing with her hair long into the night, but I didn't remember falling asleep, only falling in love all over again.

I brought my hands to my face and wiped the sleep from my eyes, yawning before looking down and finding Cersei still asleep on top of me.

She looked so peaceful sleeping, her hand dangling limply off the edge of the bed and her features still and calm. Sunlight streamed through the peach-colored curtains and made her soft hair shine like pure gold. Her lips were parted slightly and I could hear her breathing, feel her chest rising and falling against my own.

"I love you." I found myself whispering to her, brushing my finger over one of her arched eyebrows.

She stirred slightly, her fingers twitching as she began to wake up, her long eyelashes fluttering. "Did you say something?" She asked in a low, raspy voice, propping herself up on her elbow so that she could also rub the sleep from her eyes.

"I said, 'I love you.'" I told her, and she tilted her head, a smile spreading across her face.

"I love you too, my little wolf," she leaned up to peck my lips. "Good morning."

"Morning, beautiful." I replied, and she grinned, clambering off of me and sitting on her knees, stretching her arms wide as she yawned. I sat up and stretched also, pulling my shirt away from where it stuck to my stomach with sweat.

"Last night was nice." She told me shyly, resting her chin on my shoulder as I perched on the edge of the bed. "We should do it more often. I like how you make me forget everything." She laced her fingers with mine and kissed the back of my neck, making me shudder.

"Stop that." I whined as she continued kissing there when she noticed my reaction, though I knew she knew that was my soft spot before and had done it purposefully.

"Stop what?" She mumbled against my skin, nipping a soft trail down between my shoulder blades. Her fingers came to untie the strings of my blouse, pulling it open and dragging the material further down my arms so that she could have more access to my sensitive skin. It was the morning, after all.

"Your Grace," A heavy knock came on the door, startling us both. She leapt from the bed and brushed herself off, brushing her hair behind her shoulder and straightening her gown.

"Just a moment!" She called, pushing me swiftly into the closet before shutting the door. We had done this a thousand times over, so I knew not to make a sound as I heard the door creak open.

"Your Grace, the court is gathering for Lord Tyrion's wedding." I recognized Lord Baelish's raspy voice. "Your presence is dire, I'm afraid. Did I disturb you?"

"No, Lord Baelish, you didn't." I heard the edge in her voice as she spoke back to him. "And forgive me, I've forgotten the wedding is to take place today."

"Another thing... some handmaidens have offered to help Lady Stark prepare, but... she is nowhere to be found. Have you seen her?"

"No, I'm afraid not." Cersei replied convincingly, and I tried so hard not to shift in the small closet. "Perhaps she's by the sea, I've known girls to get cold feet on their wedding days. Perhaps she went to pray."

"If she's anything like you, Your Grace, it's doubtful she did." He spoke, and with that, the door shut, and I peeked from inside the closet, making sure that he was gone.

"I should... get back to my room, I suppose." I scratched the back of my neck, which still tingled in the places her lips had touched.

"I love you." She told me, the sadness returning to her eyes and the air growing thick on my chest. She came over to me and took my face in her hands, tilting my head back. "Please remember that."

"I know." I told her, bringing my own hands to her waist. "And I love you. But this is how you play the game of thrones. You know this."

"I've never needed to know anything." She replied. "I listened, I learned, but I never knew until now. Until I felt what it was like to really love someone."

"You just like my hands." I said softly, trying to soften the mood. She chuckled, pressing her forehead to mine.