XXXV.

Thanks for reading😙

I answered immediately the soft rap on my door. Lord Tyrion entered, stopping briefly where he stood as he saw me. He was wearing a red tunic with red sleeves and large, golden buckles.

   "Forgive me," he spoke, bowing his head. "You look so beautiful in a gown."

   I sighed as I turned around to face the mirror, pulling slightly at my neckline. A grey wolf pendant hung from my neck, and the white dress was laced with grey embroidery. The gown itself touched the floor, hiding the leather boots and fitting trousers I wore underneath. The sleeves were long and the fit was loose, yet comfortable, and my long hair was left long, a small braid joining at the back of my head.

   "I... you see..." He stuttered as he came to stand next to me; a small lion and an even smaller wolf. "You look beautiful." He told me once again. "And... what I'm trying to say- very poorly trying- is that... I know how you feel."

   "I doubt that very much." I said, and he nodded.

   "You're right. I have no idea how you feel." He sighed. "And you have no idea how I feel. It's an unfortunate situation."

   "It doesn't have to be this way, Tyrion." I told him. "I'm not Sansa. I can be your friend."

   "If you drink wine, you can surely be my friend." He smiled a small, fond smile. "Let us not speak of our circumstances."

   "A glass before we go?" I asked him, pouring the flagon of wine I had into two silver goblets.

   "Do you even have to ask?"

~

   The doors opened for me at the Sept of Baelor and I took a quick breath, feeling the eyes on me as my boots lightly touched the floor. But in the silence, it sounded like the pounding of my heart.

   To my surprise and disgust, Joffrey came and stood beside me, biting his bottom lip. His men stood not far behind.

   "What are you doing?" I asked.

   "Your father's gone." He replied, the crown looking out of place on his head. "As the father of the realm, it is my duty to give you away to your husband." He smiled smugly and held his arm out to me, which I took, choosing to look forward and pretend that my father was holding my arm instead.

   I looked nervously around the sept, my eyes drifting from men to women who looked at me as if they'd known me their whole lives. When I found Olenna Tyrell, standing next to Margaery, she tilted her head at me, as if I was a completely different person, and Margaery just smiled warmly.

   Cersei stood frozen as she stared at me, lips slightly parted, her gaze boring holes into my skin. I gave her a slight smile and she returned it, her emerald eyes a mixture of emotions; two of the few I could pick out being sadness and hunger.

   Joffrey led me up the steps up to where Tyrion stood, now holding the cloak. I watched as the two of them shared a heavy glance, and when Joffrey let go of my arm, he took Tyrion's step stool. I turned around before Joffrey could go hide behind Cersei and grabbed his arm once again, this time a little harder.

   "Excuse me, Your Grace, I think you have something of my husband's." I said, and he seemed taken aback as I took the stool from his hand and walked back up the steps, placing it where it had been.

   Tyrion looked at me gratefully and I could feel Joffrey's eyes burning into my face, but I didn't look back at him.

   "You may now cloak the bride and bring her under your protection." The septon said, and Tyrion climbed the steps of the stool, carefully draping the red and gold blanket over my shoulders.