XXXIX.

Thanks for reading, loves😙 Please vote and comment!

<Paityn Stark>

   "I need to talk to Sansa." I murmured as I sat staring at the page of the book, in which I had read several times, but the words were loose and without meaning in my head.

   "What was that?" Cersei asked as she came back from the desk with two glasses of wine, curling up beside me on the bed.

   "I need to talk to Sansa." I repeated, marking my place in the book and setting it down.

   "Oh." Her eyebrows furrowed and she bit her bottom lip in concentration. "Be careful, will you?"

   "Of course, love." I vowed, pecking her gingerly on the lips. She kissed back, her body relaxing as I squeezed her hand reassuringly. "Wait here for me? I'll be back soon."

   "I'd wait for eternity." She said sweetly, and kissed me gently once more before I got out of the bed and left the room.

~

   The corridors were empty except for the sound of my boots clicking against the stone floor.

   I was worried about Sansa- I hadn't seen her in a few days, and from our last encounter, I knew she harboured feelings of hatred towards me. I didn't even know if she would accept my comfort, but I hoped she would. I needed her just as much as she needed me at times like these.

   As I neared Sansa's chambers, I found a Tyrell soldier situated in front of the door. I suddenly panicked, and went to enter the room, but he stopped me.

   "Excuse me, my lady, but Lady Margaery has requested privacy-"
   "I don't care what she requested, get out of my way." I told him, but still he didn't budge. "My husband is the King's uncle, so I suggest you step aside if you want your head on your shoulders tomorrow." I hissed, and he finally moved, allowing me to open the door and slip inside.

   My jaw clenched at what I saw- Margaery kissing my sister gingerly as she held her hand to the clasp on her waist; exactly what she had done to me the night before. I was a fool to believe any word that had passed her rosy lips.

   I cleared my throat and Sansa quickly pulled away, blushing a crimson color as she found me standing there, while Margaery just smirked triumphantly. That's when I knew exactly what she was doing.

   "I'll see you later, my fair lady." Margaery squeezed Sansa's hand and stood, strolling past me and towards the door. I grabbed her suddenly, in a blind rage, and tightened my hand around her throat.

   "You thought Cersei's threat was bad?" I asked as I pressed her back against the wall, her fingers coming to attempt to pull my hand from her neck as she made small choking noises. "I don't make threats, I make promises, and I promise that if I ever see you touch my sister again, I'll strangle you while you're awake so my face will be the last thing you see before you die, and I'll cut your body into little pieces and feed it to your King." I told her, and released my grip from her throat. She took several deep breaths, a few tears slipping from her eyes as her face turned back to its original, pale color, and she nodded, running quickly from the room.

   When I turned around, Sansa brought the flat of her palm against my cheek with a crack, and my head spun, hitting the wall behind me.

   "Why in the Seven Hells would you do that?" She demanded, and I stood up straight, my fingers brushing the welt that stung my skin.

   "I was trying to protect you!" I shouted at her, and she shoved me into the door.

   "Margaery's my friend! We were just playing a game! I kind of... liked it."

   "Sansa..." I started. "Never mind. I need to tell you something." I told her, sitting down heavily on the bed. She looked at me suspiciously, and then sat down also, my fingers tentatively reaching for hers.

   "What is it?" She asked, pulling her hand away from mine, and I inspected a crack in the stone floors.

   "There was a wedding at the Twins." I said. "For Uncle Edmure. Robb was supposed to be married to one of the Frey girls, but he fell in love with a girl named Talisa and married her instead. What I'm trying to say is..." I trailed off, unable to think of a way to make it sound better than it actually was.

   "What is it, Paityn?" She asked, her fingers finally slipping between mine.

   "They're dead. All of them." I told her, tears stinging my eyes, but I had to be strong. For them. For her. "Robb, Mother, Talisa, Robb's bannermen..."

   She is silent for a few moments, and I can't bring myself to look at her face, and then she asks in a small voice, "They're gone?"

   I finally look at her, her eyes glazed with tears, but her face showing no change of emotion. She looked how I felt... empty.

   "Sansa..." I started, and she flew into my arms, instantly silencing me. I held on to her as she wept, which only made her cry harder and clutch my shirt.

   "It'll be okay, Sansa." I told her. "I promise that everything will be okay."

   With that, she pulled away from me and stood, saying, "You know nothing, Paityn Stark," before walking towards the door.

   "Sansa..." I started, and she stopped, but didn't turn.

   "Who?" She asked, and I hesitated, not wanting to tell her. This is the exact same thing we had gotten into a fight over last time; and she hadn't even talked to me on my wedding day. She hadn't even been present.

   I sighed, "It was Tywin."

   Her fist clenched, and she spun around, but her face showed no hate. "You can't protect the pack surrounded by lions." She told me, and with that, she left the room, leaving me alone and disappointed.