LXVII.

A/N: ah, sad boi hours

  "Tommen, what have you done?!" I screamed at him like I hadn't already screamed it out my window a hundred times before.

"What do you mean, 'what have I done'?" He recoiled, pressing himself up against the heavy oak door.

"What in the Seven Hells were you thinking, uniting the Crown and the Faith?" I began to pace. "Granted, your mother was the one who gave them the power in the first place, but you just ensured it, and heightened it tenfold!"

"You're not my father, and you're not my mother." He stuck his bottom lip out in a narcissistic pout. "You can't tell me what to do."

"Both your father and your mother would say the same thing." I gritted my teeth to keep from slapping him across that pink-cheeked, cherub face. "So would Lady Olenna and her son, and his son, and literally anyone else who's been shit upon by those dirty, barefoot, hypocrites!"

"Mum, please listen to me. I know that you're upset-"

"Upset doesn't begin to explain the mass-execution mood I'm in, so it will be you who's listening to me, young man." I glowered at him, and he quickly moved to occupy the edge of his bed. "And give me that." I said, snatching the bronze crown from his head.

"What? Why do you want my crown?"

"Idiots should never be placed in positions of power." I threw the piece of jewelry onto the vanity, hearing it 'clang' against the pitcher of wine. I took a deep breath. "Tommen, just the other day you were telling me all about how you should have brought the Sept down on the High Sparrow's head for what he did to your mother, and now you're sucking his cock!"

"I'm not sucking his cock!" He rose to defend himself. "I love Margaery!"

It was at that moment that everything made sense. I was hit with a wave of realization so fast and so hard that I had to sit down. I took a swig of ale from my wineskin before even considering continuing. "So that's what this is about. Margaery had a change of heart while in prison. And you listened to her."

"Of course I listened to Margaery, she's my wife. And Margaery says that the Crown and the Faith-"

"Who gives a shit what Margaery says? She's a fucking liar and everyone but you knows it!"

"Mum, I know that she may have been manipulative in the past, but prison has changed her! She told me so! Why else do you think The High Sparrow would let her go without her doing the Walk of Atonement?"

I sighed, exasperatedly, taking another, much longer swig from my wineskin full of ale. I was tired of yelling at him already. I was tired of wanting to kill my only son. "Tommen, you're young. You don't understand-"

"No, it's you who doesn't understand." He stood. "You think that you can go around insulting everyone who looks at my mother the wrong way, but you're wrong! And you're wrong about her, too! She's a hateful woman and always has been but you're too fucking blind to see it-"

The earth stood still in that moment, even after my palm had connected with his cheek and swung back, red and stinging by my side.

"Don't you ever talk to me like that again." I said slowly after a series of brief silences. I swallowed dryly. "And don't you ever talk about your mother like that again."

When he looked up again, he was crying. He dropped to his knees then, drawing his face to first, the tattered material of my trousers, second to the toes of my boots. "I'm sorry, Mummy." He sobbed. "You're right. I've made such a fool of myself. I shouldn't have said any of those horrible things to you. You're right. I'm wrong." He repeated the same things over and over, tears wetting my skin and lips wetting my boots.