XIV.

I was walking quickly past the throne room, my head down and my shoulder brushing the wall when the King spoke something that caught my attention.

"You're here to answer for your brother's latest treasons." He said, my own skin curdling at his pointed, slimy voice. He almost reminded me of Littlefinger, but Petyr was more clever.

I began walking again when I heard Sansa's broken voice call out, "Your Grace, whatever my traitor brother has done, I had no part. You know that. I beg you, please..." I turned back to find my sister sitting on the floor, close to tears. My heart shattered, and I walked closer to the edge, watching in horror, just as I did at the brothel.

"Ser Lancel, tell her of this outrage." Joffrey said, pointing a crossbow at Sansa.

I noticed the boy he was speaking of to be Cersei's cousin. "Using some vile sorcery, your brother fell on Stafford Lannister with an army of wolves." He said, his annoying nasal voice making me shudder, but I secretly delighted to hear of my brother's victory. "Thousands of good men were butchered. After the slaughter, the Northmen feasted on the flesh of the slain."

There was a murmur amongst the crowd as he said this, and King Joffrey closed one of his eyes as to aim better. "Killing you would send your brother a message." He mused, and I could only stand paralyzed, Sansa's sobbing bouncing off the walls of the room. "But my mother insists on keeping you alive." He said this in a bored tone as he put down the bow, my mouth becoming dry at the mention of Cersei. "Stand."

Sansa did as she was told, and I marveled at her strength.

"So we'll have to send your brother a message some other way." Joffrey sat down comfortably on the Iron Throne. "Meryn." He said, and a burly man walked behind my sister. "Leave her face. I like her pretty."

Once I had realized what was happening, I was already running down to protect her, but she had been hit in the stomach by Meryn and was reeling painfully. The second one was on the backs of her knees, and she fell.

"Meryn, my lady is overdressed. Unburden her." Joffrey smirked, and I ran as fast as I could through the entrance, the Imp waddling behind me and the sound of cloth ripping filling the air. I knocked the wind out of myself as I slammed my shoulder into the metal of the burly man's armor, him collapsing onto the floor as I wobbled a bit on my feet, shouting,

"Don't touch my sister, you cunt!"

"Another Stark girl." He tilted his head as Meryn struggled to get up from the floor. "Leave her face too. If we want Robb Stark to hear us, we're going to have to speak louder."

"What is the meaning of this?" The Imp demanded as I helped Sansa to her feet, wrapping a cloak around her shoulders and dragging her out of the room as quickly as I could.

"Why did you do that?" She asked softly as I brushed my fingertips over the bruises forming on her stomach. I took a deep breath as she tied the robe back around her waist, and climbed into the bed next to her. "I asked you a question." She said as I looked away, her fingers lacing into my own.

"You were being beaten by your betrothed, what would you have done, Sansa?" I asked her, and she sighed, not quite meeting my eyes.

"I can take care of myself." She muttered, just loud enough for me to hear.

"He was beating-" I began to protest, but she turned to look at me and shouted,

"He could have you killed, Paityn! He's a monster! You're supposed to be the older one, how could you be so stupid?" She hit her fist on my chest and I pulled back from her, my heartbeat quickening.

"I was just trying to protect you!"

"That's what father tried to do and now his head is on a spike!" She cried, and the room was utterly silent. You could hear a pin drop if someone were to drop one. And then a look of guilt crossed her face and she crawled over to me- as I was still propped up on my elbows by the headboard- and laid on top of me, her head on my chest. "I'm sorry." She whispered. "I just can't lose you. I lost father, and I lost Arya, and I lost Septa Mordane, and Paityn, I was horrible to them, I was so horrible-"

"Shh." I said, stroking her auburn hair. "I'll never leave you, I promise."

"You can't promise that." She mumbled as her eyes fluttered shut, my free hand rubbing her back.

"That's the one thing I do know, Sansa Stark. Believe me, I know it with all my heart."

Love this chapter particularly😊 Some dialogue from Season 2, Episode 4, Garden of Bones