CHAPTER 1- AHYAN AND MAHDIA

AHYAN RAFI MALIK, 29 Yrs.

Delhi, India

'This isn't good...there is so less time and you all are goofing around' Ahyan scolded his employees who stood in front of him with their heads lowered. He sighed removing his rimless glass furiously.

'Get lost...'he waved his hand. The three men standing there quivered and hurriedly left the cabin. Once they left Ahyan flopped on his chair and sighed exasperatedly.

'You should relax, Ahyan. You are stressing yourself' an elderly woman said. Ahyan opened his eyes and watched the woman place a tray carrying a mug of hot steaming black coffee. He smiled slightly

'I don't want to take stress Mrs. Khanna but these moron employees.' Ahyan shook his head.

At the age of twenty-nine Ahyan has achieved new heights as a young entrepreneur. Carrying forward the legacy of his grandfather, Mr. Feroz Rafi Malik, who had started small chains of restaurants back in his prime days. His son, Sadiq Rafi Malik, expanded the business. Once small chains of restaurants turned into chains of Five-star hotels.

Now, the responsiblity has been transferred to the grandson of the man who had started the business humbly. Ahyan Rafi Malik, stood to expectations of his father and he too is happy with his achievements. But not content, he wants to expand more. He aims to take his business International. Ahyan is feeling the pressure, there is no time to relax and definitely no time to be stress-free.

Mrs. Khanna shook her head and left- it is useless to argue with him; this man is a pure workaholic. Ahyan sipped his coffee and looked through the files. Competition is increasing and going strong in the home ground. He must excel in this if he wants to move ahead, to abroad. He leaned in his seat and sighed loosening his tie.

When Ahyan is stressed he misses "her" the most. She used to be the most important person in his life. Motivating him, scolding him when he had wronged, and loving, caring for him. At times, no, most of the time he missed her- His elder sister, Sadaf.

Ahyan frowned and quickly composed himself, why is he thinking of her? Yes, once there was a time when he was inseparable with his sister. But now things have changed, now she is dead for them. Ahyan cursed under his breath, his mood is spoiled even more.

One hour later, Ahyan is busy on an important call when the door to his cabin opened a young tall girl entered. She is dressed in knee length Summer floral dress, her waist length hair open and resting on her back. Her face red, and she carried loads of shopping bags. Ahyan frowned. He stuck out his palm gesturing her to not speak. She rolled her eyes from behind her sunglasses.

'Yes...Yes...'Ahyan continued to speak on the phone. The girl sat on the chair opposite him, across the table. She placed her sunglasses on top of her head and fanned her face. She mouthed "So much heat". Ahyan continued to speak for ten more minutes, the girl getting bored. She leaned in her chair and shook her head biting her lower lips.

Ahyan kept the phone and looked at the girl annoyed 'Zaynab?'

The girl beamed happily 'Ahyan?'

No matter, how angry or upset or tensed he is, his childhood bestie Zaynab always manages to make him smile. She makes him feel better, motivates him and at times kicks his butt to make him see sense. For Zaynab, she had a crush on Ahyan, but her friendship is stronger than a silly crush.

Zaynab leaned forward and grabbed a glass of water and gulped it down, while Ahyan watched wide-eyed- how coolly she drank from his glass.

All his staffs and people in business world fears him, but not his bestie Zaynab. She fears no one. She placed the glass and began talking about her ordeal. She had gone shopping, and she went on to tell about the traffic, the rush, the vendors, the useless shoppers, the prices. Ahyan sat back in his seat and listened to everything massaging his forehead.

****************************************

MAHDIA SIDDIQUE, 23 Yrs.

Paris, France

A young girl stood in front of a church dressed in a flowing white gown. She had her elbow length light brown hair open. Sunlight fell on her face highlighting her sharp features- brown almond shaped eyes, cute small nose, sharp jawline, pulp pink lips and fair complexion. She heard horse hooves and turned around. She smiled watching a white horse galloping towards her, and on it, sat a man in a white suit. He came to her and scooped her in his arms. She smiled and wrapped her arms around the man's neck. But then she frowned noticing he had no face....

'Maddy.... Maddy...' a little girl jerked Mahdia from her sleep. She sat up straight looking around dazed and confused. The little girl shook her head and placed her hands on her hips. Her Aunt is once again dreaming for her faceless prince charming. She always dreams the same.

Mahdia looked like a mess, with ruffled hair, groggily eyes and dried drool in the corner of her mouth.

'Mariam? What time is it?' She said rubbing her eyes

'I am late for school again, Maddy' Mariam said. Mahdia's eyes widened, she froze.

'Shit it is 7?' Mahdia jumped from the bed. Mariam gasped

'Maddy, language' she said sternly

'Sorry.... sorry' Mahdia said rummaging through her wardrobe to take out her dress. She must drop off Mariam and then go to her café. She is super tensed.

Young Mariam giggled as her aunt struggled with her wardrobe, Mahdia ignored her.

'Good morning, Dadi!' Mariam greeted an old woman sitting on the prayer mat, she had been reading Holy book.

'Good morning.' The old woman greeted smiling at the little girl. They heard a loud thud and looked at each other.

'I guess your clumsy Maddy broke something.' Dadi chuckled.

'I hope she didn't break the cupboard.' Mariam joked and the two laughed.

'What is so funny?' Mahdia came out still dressed in her night PJs, her hair tied in a messy bun.

'Mahdia? You look so stupid. Get ready soon.' Dadi shook her head.

'No time for that.' Mahdia said and grabbed her long woolen overcoat. She wore it quickly.

She held Mariam's arm and dragged her towards the door. As she is about to open the door, Mariam reminded her that she forgot her water bottle.

Mahdia smacked her forehead, as she turned around she dashed into her mother. She forwarded the water bottle.

'Thanks.' Mahdia and Mariam said in Unison.

Mariam waved her Maddy from the window of the bus. Mahdia waved her back and blew a flying kiss to her. Mariam blew a kiss back to her aunt.

Mahdia watched the bus go with a smile on her face.

It seemed like just yesterday, Mahdia had held baby Mariam in her arms for the first time. She was born in India. Mariam was very fair and cute bundle of joy. It was the for the first time Mahdia had held a baby in her arms.

Every time she looked at her, she feels emotional and misses her elder brother, Mizan more.

Mahdia felt her eyes moisten, she quickly wiped her tears and shoved her hands into her pockets and walked back home.