CHAPTER 9- APPROVED

Mahdia sat in the waiting lounge of a posh event managing office. She kept pricking her nails and stopped only when she noticed that the blood red nail-paint was scrapping off. She then fidgeted with business magazine.

After Lydia's suggestion, Mahdia and she hadn't wasted any time in contacting the event management agency. They fixed a meeting with her two days later. And today, sitting in the lounge waiting her turn she felt nervous. Mahdia had wanted Lydia to come but her boyfriend had slipped and broken his ankle and so, she chose to care for him rather than come with her. Mahdia was terribly nervous.

She took out a hanky and wiped the sweat beat off her forehead. She looked around, luckily there was no one in the room. She walked up to a mirror.

'Damn these heels.' She cursed as she almost tripped over her 12inches heel. Mahdia had always worn simple sneakers, thong slippers, flip flops, but heels only a few times. Being 5'5 she doesn't need many heels either. But today with her business suit she can't wear sneakers that too for official meetings.

She looked at her reflection, her attire strictly professional- crisp white shirt, grey knee-length pencil skirt, and black closed stilettos. Her hair tied in a neat French twist, Lydia had done that. She had also helped Mahdia with her make-up which is a maroon lipstick and kohl. Among all this, Mahdia liked her tiny gold and diamond nose stud glistening on her nose. Jenni was right, it indeed makes her look sexy and exotic.

'Miss. Mahdia Siddiqui.' A young woman said in her strong French accent peeking from the door. Mahdia nodded and smiled nervously at her. The woman gave her a firm nod and said, 'You are next.' She turned and walked away.

Mahdia exhaled loudly, she picked up her file containing the resume she and Lydia had made staying up whole night two nights ago.

She looked at her reflection once before leaving, 'You can do it, Mahdia Siddiqui. You can do it.' she said confidently to her reflection. She instantly felt better, she felt motivated. She then left the room.

*************************************

'Paris?' Mr. Malik asked his son at the breakfast table. Ahyan nodded not looking at him.

'When?'

'Next week.' Ahyan said piercing his omelette with his fork. Ahyan then went on to explain him about the whole meeting, he had been doing research on it. His father listened carefully, nodding his head thoughtfully. As Ahyan finished his father sided with him saying this is a very good idea. Ahyan felt proud that his father is happy with him. Ahyan had always wanted to be in his father's good book. More than failure he fears to fall in his father's eyes. Especially, seeing his father's condition after Sadaf had ruthlessly walked over his dreams and of course their reputation. After that day, Ahyan had made a promise to himself to never make his parents upset again.

'But, we were to meet Zara for the marriage alliance.' Mrs. Malik intervened. Mr. Malik glared at his wife and she closed her mouth. Ahyan is glad his father has chosen him over the stupid alliance.

She looked upset but silently had her breakfast. Ahyan felt slightly bad for his mother, and so he distracted by talking about her physiotherapist who as per his mother is useless. His attempt worked and his mother started the rant about her useless therapist forgetting everything about the alliance.

******************************************

'Sir.' Kumar placed an envelope on Ahyan's Mahogany table. Ahyan turned around from the whiteboard he had been working on. He looked at Kumar and then at the envelope. Kumar simply beamed at his boss. Ahyan placed the marker on the table and picked up the envelope. He could sense Kumar impatiently standing on his heels as he tore the envelope.

A broad smile appeared on his lips when he took out two invitation cards from inside. He looked at Kumar who puffed his chest with pride. Ahyan walked to Kumar and patted his shoulder.

'Well done.' he said. Kumar smiled proudly.

'Sir, I have emailed you the tickets to Paris. Next week your passport will also be ready and we can....' Kumar stopped talking when he noticed his boss's expression change from a happy one to a serious one.

Ahyan was very happy but remembering about that night at the airport and that thief, he felt angry.

************************************

Mrs. Siddiqui kept glancing at the wall clock while Lydia sat beside her and muttering positive things. Mariam is pacing the room silently praying that her aunt gets the deal. It's been three hours since Mahdia had gone, she had said by one hour the meeting will end, then why so late? Mrs. Siddiqui got worried.

Minutes later, the doorbell rang. Everyone got alerted. Mariam gestured everyone to be seated while she gets the door.

Mahdia stood on the other side. Mariam smiled at her Aunt who flashed a small tired smile. She looked exhausted.

'Kya hua?' her mother asked as Mahdia flopped on the single sofa in front of her. She is still clad in her winter wear too lazy to remove her coat, muffler, cap and boots.

'English please.' Lydia said.

'Please everyone let the poor girl breath.' Mariam said to everyone. Mahdia smiled lazily. She took the glass of water her niece had forwarded her.

Everyone waited for Mahdia to breath like Mariam had asked them to.

'Guys, they have said many like us,' Mahdia looked at Lydia, 'even our competitions have registered for this deal. They want to taste our samples and then vote and select. They are organizing the small event in their office hall. Here all the bakeries and café owners will be coming showcasing their product. The guests that include the staff of the office will be tasting our delicacies and voting on them. The result will be announced on Monday.' Mahdia said and then leaned back in her seat.

'When is the event?' Lydia asked sitting on the armrest of the double sofa where Mrs. Siddiqui and Mariam are seated.

'Sunday.' She said

Lydia's eyes widened. After realization dawned to Mahdia she gasped, 'Shit, Lydia, today is Friday.' She said.

Before Mrs. Siddiqui or Mariam could respond the two women, Lydia and Mahdia had leaped from their seat and rushed to Mahdia's room to make plans for the big event on Sunday.