CHAPTER 24- THE FIRST PHONE CALL

'Ma!' Mahdia asked as she sat on the floor and her mother sat behind her on the sofa, her mother oiled and massaged her hair. Mariam sat in between Mahdia's legs and she is oiling and massaging Mariam's hair.

'Yes!' her mother said, her fingers skillfully massaging her daughter's hair.

'When you had seen Dad for the first time, how you knew you were in love?' Mahdia asked.

Mariam rolled her eyes while Mrs. Siddiqui giggled.

'It wasn't love at first sight! I fell in love slowly after marriage.' She said, her eyes twinkled with unshed tears. Thinking if her dead husband made her emotional.

'Why did you marry someone you didn't love.' Mahdia said. Mariam wished this conversation ended here.

Mrs. Siddiqui shook her head. 'Because it was an arranged marriage.' She said

'Arranged marriages are boring. Love marriage zindabad.' She said happily. A smile on her lips thinking of Ahyan.

'Maddy, can we stop talking, please.' Mariam interrupted annoyed.

'Mariam.' Mahdia faked anger. Then soon they both got into an argument. But Mahdia's words echoed in Mrs. Siddiqui's ears. Her words scared her.

Suddenly, she recollected that time when her elder son, Mazin had declared he is love with a girl and he wished to marry her. She recollected the taunts they had to endure from the neighbors

'Look, how money minded they are.'

'Son has gotten a very rich girl, they must be getting a huge amount as dowry.'

'Love marriage that too with a girl of high standards.'

'How much dowry are you getting, Farzana?'

'we didn't know Mazin is capable of trapping a rich girl'

'You must be very happy; all your money problems must have ended'

Mrs. Siddiqui stared at the back of Mahdia's head, 'I hope you don't make the same mistake as your brother.' she whispered but her words went unheard as Mahdia was too busy arguing with her niece.

**********************************************

Ahyan glanced at his alarm clock, it is 3 am and for some strange reason he can't sleep and to his annoyance, he can't stop thinking about her. The brown almond eyes, cute nose stud, brown straight tresses, slim figure, her mesmerizing warm smile, her nervousness, that blush. Ahyan groaned and turned his head, he frowned on seeing Kumar asleep. He felt jealous as to how peacefully his colleague sleeps and he can't sleep. Ahyan is not new to insomnia, but he has been awake only for work. This is the first time he is awake thinking about a girl. He sighed and looked up at the ceiling, he wondered if she will call. At least he hopes she does.

Mahdia turned her head and after assuring that Mariam had fallen asleep, she slipped into her duvet covering herself completely. She took out his card from top pocket of her PJ. She bit her lower lip wondering if she should call him. She moved her duvet over her head and glanced at Mariam again, she is asleep.

Slowly, she went back in. She dialed the number. With each ring, her heart beat increased.

Ahyan is startled as his loud phone ring punctured the silent cold night. He quickly grabbed his phone ignoring Kumar's groan from the other side. He saw an unknown number flash on the screen, he wondered if it is Mahdia.

Mahdia slapped her forehead realizing it is 3 in the morning, how can she be so idiotic? She thought to herself. Actually, the excitement of talking to him was so much that she didn't get the sense of time.

She was about to cut the call all the while mentally slapping and kicking herself. She froze on hearing his strong deep baritone, 'Hello!'

She gulped. He didn't sound like he was asleep. She didn't speak, she found her words lost.

'Mahdia?' he asked and she felt her heart skip a beat. Her name from his mouth sounded so much melodious than it was. She held her breath and nodded, then she slapped her forehead. How will he know she is nodding? They aren't in a video call. She smiled at her silliness.

After few seconds of composing herself she whispered, 'Yes!'

************************************************

Hey, guys, how was the chapter, cute wasn't it? do let me know in the comments.